Logo

15 HP 1983 Johnson J15RCTA, problems starting it

steelersfan

First post, nice forum.

I have had this motor since '07 and have done nothing with it other than change the lower gear oil yearly, replace the tiller throttle gear and spray carb cleaner in the carb in '09 to get it running better. I run maintenance levels of seafoam in my tank all the time and store the boat in my garage.

Took it out of the garage at the beginning of March this year, put the muffs on it and got it started after about 10 pulls and let it run for 10 min. or so. First start-up of the year usually requires a quick squirt of starting fluid (and when its cold). I am using a SF that has lubricant added and again, only a quick half second to second squirt. It states on the bottle it is safe for all outboards, diesels, etc.. That has been my yearly routine. This past weekend, it was pretty chilly and took it to a local lake and it would not start after a gazillion pulls.

Fast forward to last night, I bought new plugs (Champion) and when pulling the old ones, noticed the cylinders are dry. The top plug has some gunk on it and the bottom plug was bone dry. They weren't heavily carboned. I changed out the plugs and verified I had a good spark on both plugs (jump more than a 1/4 inch because my finger got too close to the end of the boot and I got nailed). Tried starting her up and nothing. Pulled plugs again and cylinders are still totally dry. I plan on rebuilding the carb and just ordered that along with some other parts from here today. (throttle cam follower disintegrated, replacing the impeller, need a new 5/32" fuel line b/w the fuel pump and carb). I verified I was getting gas from the fuel pump to the carb. The bowl was full of gas and it was actually starting to leak out of of the bowl around the gasket. I removed the carb and it looks amazingly clean inside (I was expecting varnish, etc. because like I said, I have never done a thing to it and I had no idea what the previous owner had done to it). The low speed needle valve was clean. The float seem to work properly (blowing air from my mouth into the gas port and flipping it up/down). Do I just have a piece of junk clogging it up in there and the rebuild/clean should do the trick? It looked "dry" inside the motor where the carb mounts so no fuel is getting into the motor from this point.

I am worried about no lubricant in the cylinders and me trying to pull start it a bunch. Can I spray WD40 or PB blaster in there to help until things get started? Can I squirt some gas mix in the cylinders to get it to turn over and not do any damage? How much mix can I get in there and not be a hazard?

What areas of the carb should I be looking at specifically for a blockage? This will be my first attempt at a carb rebuild ever but I am a pretty decent tinkerer. Watched a couple of the youtube videos showing the process and I think I can handle it. Any tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance.
justin

The brass high speed jet screws into the bottom portion of the upper body. Fuel must flow thru that jet before it has access to any other fuel passageway. Over time, that jet becomes clogged somewhat and the problem you describe pops up. Make it a point to manually clean that jet with a piece of wire.

I'm assuming that the choke butterfly is functioning properly.

thanks. sounds like im on the right track then. that small fuel hose has started to deteriorate and im wondering if it was throwing some junk into the carb.

i dont have a manual. do you know of a good post that describes the link n syn. i tried a search and dont think i found what i was looking for. did the full carb rebuild, replaced the small fuel line, put a new filter screen in (didnt look too bad), and put on the throttle cam follower. hardest part was using my feet as a vice to remove and install the welch plug and remembering how to reinstall the recoil starter. got her running again after a few pulls in the driveway with muffs on. started off with the low speed get 1.5 turns out and made adjustments for a smooth idle. let it run for 10 mins or so and put it in gear a few times and revved to half throttle briefly. seemed to be good to go but ill need to do the water test yet. even suckered the kids into helping me wash the outside of the

Thanks! Appreciate the help. Just for FYI, what happens if the link n sync is off? Does it just make for poor performance or can you do damage to the engine, or, like everything else, does it depend on how far out it is?

If it is off, where do I make adjustments at for this?

Back