Logo

1408430 140hp 1978 Rude

kiwi_dave

Contributing Member
"Morning Folks
Could any one

"Morning Folks
Could any one tell me where to start looking re my below problem.
Went out to turn the motor over yesterday as havnt used boat for 2 weeks, (last started 1 week ago). Turned key on, she started rolling over but sounded like low battery. When I turned the key off, the starter was still turning over, very slowly ??! . Turned key on again and tried to turn over again same thing. When I turned the key off she was still turning over slowly. I then disconnected at battery switch and removed batteries to charge up. Will reinstall and connect up this arvo, but could this be a big prob ? has anyone had this happen before ? , Where might I start checking ?. Its been raining a fair bit here on the Gold Coast QLD Aus, could that be cause ? any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance."

"Oh forgot to mention.... neve

"Oh forgot to mention.... never had any kind of start issues before, (not that thats gonna make a difference, Ive found these things have an agenda of their own, Ill Play up You pay for it ! LOL"

"replace your starter solenoid

"replace your starter solenoid,take a close look at battery cables for corrosion,bad conn etc..look for swelling in areas of batt cables jacket,if found,repl both,chg and LOAD TEST batt."

"OK, dumb Q: why isn't an

"OK, dumb Q: why isn't anyone looking at ignition switch too? bad batteries won't cause it to keep cranking when key is turned off. my guess would be corrosion on battery-to-solenoid connections plus ignition switch going south, all of which would be consistent with abnormally high rain. just a thought."

"Cheers Bruce
We here on the

"Cheers Bruce
We here on the SE QLD Coast in Aus, have had record rains over the past month or so,
So after attending to the suspect connections etc, could anyone advise any preventitive action that should be taken to lessen any future probs ? Thanks In Advance ..."

"from what i've been readi

"from what i've been reading abt your rainfall last few years, those record rains msut be nice change!
i like to use Permatex anti-seize on all electrical & ground connections i can disassemble. get the jar with brush in cap rather than the dinky tubes and it'll last you a lifetime. my brother used to swear by this stuff when he was the chief engineer on a 1000' tanker. the stuff has aluminum and graphite in it so it will both protect your terminals from corrosion and help ensure good contact. beyond that, i might make a cover that fits over my instrument panel when i'm not using boat to prevent ign switch etc from getting directly rained into. finally, a cover over boat or stowing under carport etc roof wouldn't hurt. some real nutsos take apart the switches on their bikes and fill all air space with dielectric grease but these are the type of sick souls who ride Moto guzzis (said in admiration)."

"hey, i figured you should loo

"hey, i figured you should look to how folks deal with the worst-case scenario....for iffy switchgear, it don't get any more state o the art than old Italian motorcycles....maybe even worse than Mr. Lucas' offerings on britmobiles!"

Back