Logo

140 mercruiser hard to start after warm

nishjg

"I/m new to the site, and to I

"I/m new to the site, and to I/O's for that matter. I have a 84 merc 140 and it starts cold ok, and runs great. But if I happen to turn the engine off it will not restart. I had to pour some gas down the carb to get it going and it ran great again. I checked the plugs and found them to be dry as can be after extended cranking. It only runs a couple of revolutions and quits. It will only run that much. Any suggestions?"

"So now it will only start w/g

"So now it will only start w/gas priming but won't continue running? If you work the throttle while looking into the venturi do you see two strong fuel squirts? Plugged fuel filters, worn fuel pump."

"Once I get it started, it run

"Once I get it started, it runs great. If I use the choke manually it also starts. Once it's running it seems ok. Maybe water problems??"

"So I assume you can get a cho

"So I assume you can get a choke kit for that carb? Another quick question, when it's running I should be able to see the gas spraying in the top of the carb, or do I need to have the throttle open to see it? Last check I could'nt see any fuel going in there, I wonder how the engine is running. One last question, the sight tube on the fuel pump has gas in it, does this means a damaged fuel pump diaphragm?? Again, a bit confused on how this engine actually runs at all. Thanks in advance."

"Some of the older inline pump

"Some of the older inline pumps used to have rebuild kits...they get harder to find every day.

If you can find a new one, i'd go that way - usually much quicker (& safer) in the long run."

Back