Logo

140 HP Johnson Outboard 1981

Rick4545

Hello everyone, I have had this 1981 140V Cross Flow Johnson outboard engine for 25 years and it has always ran great. I did not use the boat last year, I left the fuel in the tank and did not prep the engine either, now that was foolish of me! Well when i went to start the engine it did not run well at all. I took out the old fuel, then replaced the fuel, also I even added a liquid cleaner to the new gas and oil that is supposed to help with cleaning any carb problems. I then pulled the old plugs that I installed years ago, they were really worn of course. I replaced them with high quality spark plugs. The engine has always started well, maybe a little cold blooded when first starting but when warmed up it ran perfect. Now it still starts well but I can't get it to Idle without stalling under 1200 RPMS. The top left cylinder felt cool compared to the top right cylinder side. I then replaced the old thermostats with 2 new thermostats, what a terrible job that was, it took me four hours to replace. Now all cylinders feel the same in temperature when running and the V4 engine now idles at 600 to 800 RPMS. I checked the plug wires and a couple of them you can see electrical current jumping to the nearest ground or bolt when the engine is running. Is this causing the engine to short out or run ruff? I have noticed the engine missing now and then, I know in cars if plug wires have cracks they might misfire. I went to pull the plug wire off while running the engine, I really got a good shock. I pulled two wires from the left bank, the engine still ran well on the right bank, but when I pull the right side plug wires the 140 engine ran somewhat worse. I feel I should replace all plug wires. I also checked the compression and the cylinders all were from 107 PSI too 117 PSI, I think that is pretty good on and older engine. I feel the carb low idle jets have cleaned up some now and I even looked at the fuel pump / filter. What I need from you guys is, what am I missing? What else should I look at or replace to get the old engine running well again.

Thank you, for your help, Rick :confused::confused:

Last edited:
We had to rebuild the carbs on our older Evinrude after letting it sit. Seems the ethanol causes all kids of problems. Not real hard to do, but made a huge improvement !

Back