Logo

130hp won't start

Hi Grouchy,

I have never worked on a 130. These are just some suggestions based on the general principles of fuel injected engines.

Have you checked all fuses? It's best to check them with a voltmeter or an ohmmeter if you have one. Sometimes a fuse will be bad but look ok.

Does it seem to try to fire if only just a cough or two?

Have you tried cracking the throttle just a little to see what it does?

Do you hear the high pressure fuel pump run for 3 seconds then stop whenever the key is cycled to the run position? That will at least tell you the pump is getting a power signal from the control module and is turning. If it runs, then it is probably pumping fuel.

You're probably going to need to determine "what's missing"....
It's typically either air, fuel or spark but occasionally it can be a timing issue or compression problem.

But staying with spark and fuel at first...

Checking for spark is probably the easiest most of the time. An inexpensive spark tester from Harbor Freight or the auto parts store makes it fairly easy to do.
Probably plenty of youtube videos to help too.

If you find that there is spark while cranking then determining if it's not getting fuel is the next best step. Adding fuel via the intake is a reliable method but most people have never tried doing it and that can be frustrating.

I use propane to artificially enrich an engine. While I believe it's the best and safest method, I realize most just aren't convinced. It takes a propane plumber's torch modified with a piece of rubber hose. If you're interested in trying that I will be happy to elaborate. Probably plenty of youtube tutorials on the subject too.

I will caution you though that, if you intend to use starting fluid (ether) to enrich, it can be risky for your engine (and you) unless done with extreme care. I hate that stuff.

I recommend not using it except in dire emergency and to never use gasoline.

See if you can answer most of my questions above and we can go from there.

Good luck.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them far as pump running when key is turned on all I hear is a click at the vapor separator.

Well, that could be a bad sign.

I'm afraid that you likely have a bad pump. This is where I would probably be buying the service manual and then going in there to investigate.

My apologies but I don't have the experience to advise you on how to proceed. That pump is very expensive and you'll want to take care about how you go about assessing the situation.

Good luck.

I'm not sure DON....that's why I punched out..... because I don't want to lead Grouchy astray here.

Bob thanks for the manual now all I have to do is learn to use it ha ha. Looked at the manual my vapor separator pump assembly and filter doesn't look like it probably some change made in one or other. Might have to try that propane torch idea jgmo mentioned I just want to hear it hit a little.

Greg

Bob thanks for the manual now all I have to do is learn to use it ha ha. Looked at the manual my vapor separator pump assembly and filter doesn't look like it probably some change made in one or other. Might have to try that propane torch idea jgmo mentioned I just want to hear it hit a little.

Greg
Oh I pulled plugs bone dry if that means anything

We’re in the middle of getting 2 inches of rain today and tonight and my boat is on a mooring in the bay. Thankfully not a whole lot of wind, will get out to check out the lanyard tomorrow or Sunday for sure.

We’re in the middle of getting 2 inches of rain today and tonight and my boat is on a mooring in the bay. Thankfully not a whole lot of wind, will get out to check out the lanyard tomorrow or Sunday for sure.
We ain't had any rain here in a long while you can send some this way

Where are you?

We had a drought and wildfires in May, triple normal rain in June, triple normal in July, so far in august double normal. I’d send a load if I could. I’ve seen our salt water in the bay at 80F this summer.

Where are you?

We had a drought and wildfires in May, triple normal rain in June, triple normal in July, so far in august double normal. I’d send a load if I could. I’ve seen our salt water in the bay at 80F this summer.
Central Texas East of Austin Town called Smithville

To use the propane, take the burner tip off of the torch pipe. They're typically 1/4" pipe.

Guesstimate how long a piece of appropriate sized rubber hose it would take to snake up inside the intake muffler to get as close as possible to the throttle body. Large diameter vacuum tubing is ideal because it's very flexible.

Slide it on the torch pipe and snake it into position the best you can.

Open the throttle so the gas can enter the throttle body. This will NOT work if the throttle is closed.

Open the torch valve 1/2 turn or more and crank the engine.

Be ready to pull the kill switch or close the throttle. Enlist a helper if necessary because you don't want to overspeed the engine.

You just want to do this long enough to hear it run....or not.

Don't forget to shut the torch valve.

That's it.

Propane is the perfect enrichment fuel because it's already a gas and mixes easily with the air entering the intake.
It also stores almost forever.

It is heavier than air though and will pool in low places so doing this outdoors is best.

Hurricane Hillary is bearing down on SoCal and is due here tomorrow evening. I imagine that I will have plenty of moisture to share after Sunday as 4 to 6 inches are predicted for my area.
Already seeing distant lightning flashes to the south.

Good luck with the 130

Went to my mooring, windy and couldn’t hear any difference between sounds with lanyard attached or not. Key, just 2 beeps either way, couldn’t hear anything else for wind and wave noise.

Went to my mooring, windy and couldn’t hear any difference between sounds with lanyard attached or not. Key, just 2 beeps either way, couldn’t hear anything else for wind and wave noise.
That's what I hear 2 beeps at the switch then a click at the vapor separator

You have to test, I can't answer that. Use a test light at the plug, should light up for about 5 secs when key is turned on.

IMG_7363.jpeg
IMG_7363.jpeg

Back