Logo

115hp Johnson w/low Cranking Compression On One Cylinder

New Yooper

115hp motor.jpgCrestliner.jpgI'm looking at this boat motor and trailer, to possibly purchase. I don't know the year yet on the boat or motor. The owner says that one of the cylinders has low cranking compression. What could cause this? Is it fixable? Was it common with these motors? Price for the 17' Crestliner boat, 115hp motor, trailer, downrigggers, and 6hp kicker seems pretty reasonable. Should I run?!?!?!?! Or look into it further? What do you think it's worth? Thanks!

It likely has broken piston rings , very common fault.---------At home you can fix this ( 4 new pistons ) for about $1000.00 on parts, to get a motor that is going to run like new.------------Dealer is more likely going to be $3000.00

i personally would walk away from it.....but if you are seriously thinking of buying it i would pull the heads and look at the walls for scoring.....or have a good mech look at it.....one or two hours labor charge is a good investment.....

Why would you buy someone else's troubles? I disassembled a 112spl today that had low compression on one cylinder. It turned out to be the center main bearing shattered, which would explain the piece of metal imbedded in #4 cylinder head. The engine is junk. Sure, there are common problems and then there are the not so common problems. It may have low compression due to being burned by a clogged carb or a double firing ignition system or a bearing that let loose. Run from this as fast as you can or simply talk him down to a really low number on the boat.

Back