Logo

115 Optimax 2 stroke oil pump reliability

New Jersey

I recently bought a 04 Action Craft with a 04 115 Optimax. Should I stay with oil pump, or disconnect, and mix myself. Also, if the pump fails, how will I know. Thanks. NJ.

if its an optimax you deffinatly cannot remove the pump and pre-mix. Those engines are entirely computer controlled if you removed that pump and pre-mixed you would 100% destroy that engine most of the main bearings and the compressor pump would no longer get lubrication. You would get all sorts of codes and alarms if you did this also. if your pump fails you will get an alarm for no oil and your engine will go into gaurdian mode and cut power to try and save the engine. Those pumps are very reliable and i havn't seen one fail yet I would be more woried about the air compressor corroding out if it has been used in salt water alot they have problems with the heads on them.

Your Optimax is a direct injection engine, the fuel and air charge are introduced directly into the combustion chamber. The crank shaft never sees any fuel, just oil. So, no, you cannot remove the oil pump. If you do have a pump failure as Certified_Marine explained, an alarm will sound, guardian mode will activate and your engine will run at reduced speed. But no worries, there is enough residual oil on the crank to run for a long time without doing damage.

I recently lost a cylinder on my 2005 Mercury 115 Optimax just out of the blue running at about 25 MPH. Everything was working normally with no alarms or indications of issues. Just hit 1000 hours on the meter. Cylinder 1 is 0, Number 2 and 3 are 125 PSIG. Kind of weird and expensive. Any thought would be greatly appreciated!

Back