Logo

115 Mercury 1997

RedHamil

Looking for Experiences and advice on turning my 1997 Mercury 115 hp outboard from a 2 by 4 running cylinders into a 4 x 4 running cylinders.

As all who have experiences with this engine. The engine runs on 2 top cylinders when below about 2000 rpm and then kits in the two bottom cylinders when runs above about 2000 rpm.
The bottom 2 carbs are Identical to the top 2 carbs with the exception that the 2 bottoms carbs lack Idle screws.
Question,
Has anyone removed the 2 screws plugs and installed Idle screws allowing the bottom carbs to work at all rpm levels.
I would imagine the timing would need adjustment and all carbs would need to be tuned and synced.
any and all comments wlecome

Redhamil

1) No carbs cannot be coveted
2) Motor will shake itself to pieces on 4 cylinders that why factory did this.
3) Yes I have see one converted and it didnt run and was converted back ..the carbs would not sync.

Thanks Faztullet,
Guess that answers the question!!!!!

I will keep looking for the intermittent cutout issue at above 3500 rpm.
Next step look at float levels bottom two carbs
IN THE SPRING
Winter, coming soon here

Float levels are rarely the problem.-----Look into issues with fuel supply.------That means hoses , connecters, pickup tube inside the tank etc.

Float levels are rarely the problem.-----Look into issues with fuel supply.------That means hoses , connecters, pickup tube inside the tank etc.

Thanks Racerone
Have replaced all fuel supply hoses and filter.
Only thing not done is thorpugh check out of fuel pickup.
But. stutter is SO short and SO consistent that have been focused on some sort of electrical issue.

Did find a loose bullet wire connector from stator to coil wires (as wires come aroumd back of Starter) had this replaced. NOW have to wait for spring for Lake run.
Thanks for your input..
Redhamil

Johnnygir
Thanks for your reply.
The answer to your suggestion is no, but will keep this approach in mind, and a next step test in the spring when boat goes back into the Water.

Redhamil

Back