Logo

115 hp 4 cyl in serious trouble

jtrap22

engine is either 6 or 7 years old, had the most of the lower unit replaces due to corrosion, after a tune up and full service it started running rough, stalling when coming off of the power to idle and then taking a lot of work to get it running again, i got stranded once because i killed the battery trying to start it again. i added staybil to the fuel and ran sea foam through it and no joy. i discovered that without the hood the engine ran fine and as soon as the hood was back on it ran rougher and rougher till it stalled, sounded like it was starving for air. the vents in the hood were all clear, i also noticed that when it ran really rough that blocking the small intake hose of the bow side of the engine, it would almost stall, then letting go made it run better for a while. (sorry if that is confusing), i cut a very large hole in front of that hose thinking it was starving for air and put a vent over so it looked ok. this did not help for some reason. i recently took it out and on plane and suddenly im down on power, it felt like i had lost a cylinder or something. the engine sounds like there is something wrong in the engine when it runs now and i had a mechanic go through it. he said its the exhaust plate and the oil pan and that it'll cost ball park $3500 to fix and then your "putting a band aid on a bleeding wound" meaning that its just going to break again.

so my question is this, are there any quick and easy fixes? is it worth the repair at this old of an engine if the engine will fall just apart? is replacing the motor completely the smarter move? the boat is actually my fathers and i have loved growing up on it, i love fishing and dont want to loose my boat. thanks in advance for any help you can give.

We need the model number to determine exactly what engine you have.

Yes, you have a air restriction type problem, a scenario of one you might say. If the problem only happens when you're sitting in neutral, the exhaust fumes will find their way into the carburetors and bog the engine down.

However, if this problem happens while you're under way, then you have an exhaust leak somewhere which you will need to find to correct.

At any rate.... $3500 to temporary fix a problem is a waste of money, especially on a older engine. Best to possibly think about replacing it.

Back