Logo

115 HP 2 stroke reduced engine RPM problem solution.

guyjg

Gold Medal Contributor
I noticed a reduction in WOT RPM...would not go past 48K RPM. Solution was removing the carbs for cleaning and finding the #4 cylinder reed valve jammed shut by a small piece of plastic. It appears it came from the carbs cover...excess blow mold plastic that did not get removed in manufacturing process.

You may have the answer to my current problem...I am trying to overhaul the 4 carbs on my 1994 Mercury 115 (2/4) 2 stroke. I have the front intact cover off, the 6 nuts and loosened the bottom 2 capscrews...those capscrews cannot be removed because the run into the engine pan cover in front so I am presuming the somehow come off with the cover and maybe bring the bottom carb with them...haven't gotten that far yet. My problem is I can get the cover to pull away from the top 3 carbs but cannot get it to come loose from the bottom carb...there are gaskets between each carb and the cover and I can see a gasket on the bottom one where it meets the cover. I have pulled the control cables and cut a plastic tie that was holding the fuel line to the cover. But I cant get the bottom carb to either break loose at the cover or at the block assuming it supposed to come out with the cover. Is there a secret...my Seloc on line explains it pretty simply...remove the cover :)
Greg

"those capscrews cannot be removed because the run into the engine pan cover in front so I am presuming the somehow come off with the cover" Remove the cowling.

Thanks for the response. While I was out puzzling it...I found a cap screw under the oil tank that I had not seen before...took it out and everything came apart the way it should. A little tough getting the bottom carb and bolts out but they did come...I see why they used cap screws instead of mounting bolts with aircraft nuts on that bottom carb. Thanks again for your response.

"those capscrews cannot be removed because the run into the engine pan cover in front so I am presuming the somehow come off with the cover" Remove the cowling.

Back