Logo

115 evinrude e115tlct

neohiobass

"Hi, Two things maybe related.

"Hi, Two things maybe related. Im not a good mechanic when it comes to motors ect. I took my boat into the shop for hard starting and stalling at idle. He turned up the idle and said I had 60 psi on one of the cylinders . 110,110 100 on the others. He said spray cleanerin head and wait a day then run. He said maybe it will un stick rings or de carbon. Next day I took it to the lake and it the starter post and battery terminal melted! I took it back to him and he disconnected all the wires from the ignition switch. I thought that was strange but he said it may have stuck. Then he said it was caused from having the tilt trim leads going to a different battery than the motor starting leads. He sold me a new starter and I bought a new starter battery. Now I was going to check the compression and the kill switch wont work. Three lines coming off. Two are blk/yellow stripe and one is black. One of the b/y goes to ignition as well as black. I have not used the kill switch for a few years. Not sure when it went bad. Ignition is a omc push choke . Would the switch be wired wrong now to the igniton? Is there a color chart for the ignition or a Test for the kill switch. Its three wire kill switch part # ? Ps I have a 73-89 service manual on the way but was told it would be a week or two before it ships so thanks in advance for help. Ps I have been reading a lot of your posts about a homemade spark tester tester? I cant picture this to build. Any pics? Thanks again"

I took the kill switch out and

I took the kill switch out and cleaned it with contact cleaner and it started to work.

I stopped at a boat dealer and he said for me to spray the evinrude cleaner in the carbs and not the spark plug hole that was showing 60 psi. He said there are upper and lower rings and spraying into the carbs would clean the other rings. Any other ideas before I spend $1400 to have the engine rebuilt 1983 evinrude 115. Is it worth it? Should I buy an engine off of ebay? I'm pretty sure I couldn't do the rebuild from what I see in the manual at the boat store.

"Kevin.... You have a 1983 115

"Kevin.... You have a 1983 115hp Evinrude with a difference in compression of 50 psi between the lowest and highest reading. That is not a stuck ring problem!

Your "mechanic" right off the bat should have removed the cylinder heads to inspect the pistons, cylinder walls and the underside of the cylinder head.

The starter post and battery terminal melted? I assume you're speaking of the actual electric starter terminal post on the starter.... and one of the actual terminal posts that exist on top of the battery? If so, that's usually due to a poor or tight but dirty connection that results in having the starter solenoid stick which in turn causes the permanent engagement of the electric starter = HOT HOT HOT!

I'm not going to run down your mechanic's abilities but I would suggest that you obtain a second opinion from a certified mechanic.

Whether the engine is worth investing money will need to be your judgement call. The engine is now going on 25 years old and you'll need to compare a guaranteed (in writing) repair figure of the engine as compared to a new or good later model used engine."

"Thanks Joe! I called a differ

"Thanks Joe! I called a different mechanic and he said that if I buy a later model engine from someone on ebay I am just buying someones problem. He said he feels confident (if after preliminary inspection was ok ) that he could do all 4 pistons and rebuild the carbs. Said I would get a 1 year warranty and would be just like getting a new engine. He puts up a good argument for $1400.
Should I only buy a motor I can run on the water? Compression check within 15%. strong stream of water from pump, I would check lower end oil for shavings/water/color but what if its been changed? What else should I consider? I would buy a drop in with a red plug so I wouldn't need any other controls/iginition switches/throttle or steering stuff correct? Thanks again."

"It's preferable, if purch

"It's preferable, if purchasing another engine, to purchase one that can be run on the water first, and also to have a certified mechanic check it out before purchasing. A knowledgeable certified mechanic would know where to look for bad areas.

Compression should not vary more than a few pounds. A difference of 8 or more pounds usually spells trouble.

Gearlube.... Water is obvious if plain water. However, a grayish whiteish looking solution also spells water.

Yes, any RED electrical plug engine will swap in to your control box.

BTW..... $1400 for a complete overhaul isn't bad if it's done correctly.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back