Logo

110 Merc Outboard sputtering at full throttle

bear52

Hi all. New to the Forum. I have a strange problem. I have a 110 Merc outboard that's driving me, my Merc mechanic, and the techs up at Merc crazy. The engine idles fine all the way up to about 1500-2000 RPM. When I shove the throttle full forward, it just sputters....take it back to 1800, and it's fine. We've been all over this thing and can't figure it out. No codes kicking out on the computer, etc etc etc. We thought maybe the Neutral cut-off which should have kicked a code. Nothing....We've tested everything fuel, did a diagnostic on all cylinders, etc etc etc. The techs up at Merc are baffled also. My Merc mechanic and I are both old gear-heads, and we think we're going to go back to basics...fuel lines, filter, plugs, etc. The techs at Merc say if it's anything fuel-related, it should kick a code. We're at a loss. Any ideas out there? I'm sure someone has seen something like this before. Appreciate any guidance.

TX

B

A wee bit newer than I know anything about, but I would have a look inside the tank, check if there is something blocking the pick-up pipe, and the bore of the fuel line.If too small it won't draw enough fuel to run wot.That's a t-shirt I have worn :eek: It definitely sounds like fuel starvation.

Back