Logo

100293r model Evinrude 100 starfliteelectrical problems

pegs1

Hi.

Just bought this thing.

Hi.

Just bought this thing...Seemed like a good deal for the boat/motor/trailer even if the motor was trash.

I think the motor is 70-72... part number on the engine mount is 100 293R

Carbs were recently rebuilt according to my local "mechanic" and looks to have a new power pack on it.

I put new plugs in it...they stay pretty wet.

Problems appears to be in the timing...
It will start although hard to start.....Barely idles......and as RPMs increase misfires and seems to fire "out of time". anything over 25% makes it act likes its going to take off on its own any second.

Any ideas where I should start trouble shooting this?

Thx
Mike

"It's a safe bet to say re

"It's a safe bet to say replace some ignition components.....this post is going to get long. There will be a lot of people responding with long winded responses..Graham.......Joe.....
happy.gif
"

"Mike it's a 1972 model. N

"Mike it's a 1972 model. New powerpack (hooked up wrong?) - It's a big engine, I'll leave this for Joe.

How's that for short Paul?
lol.gif
"

Replacing stuff and guessing i

Replacing stuff and guessing is not the way to go.Remove the flywheel and check / set the points at 0.010" ( if equipped with points ) as someone may have updated the ignition.Check the anti -reversing spring and have rotor and cap checked / tested by a competent shop. Replace the wee boots on the cap ( wires are threaded into the cap)and post your results on this work.

Mike the 72-100 had a sensor &

Mike the 72-100 had a sensor ( no points ) like the 125hp. Set the sensor gap at 0.028" and also do a compression test.

+++ jpeg +++ 84456 +++ power p

+++ jpeg +++ 84456 +++ power pack photo +++
This is the motor and I'm guessing the power pack..
As I said it looks new....Also the spark plug wires appear to be new as well
I'll pull the flywheel and check the rest as per the posts <B

"it uploaded because its locat

"it uploaded because its locating to your computer.....you have to upload to a website, then post a url to that website.........."

Back