Logo

08 225 Surging at Fast Idle

gaffshot

"On my last trip I noticed a m

"On my last trip I noticed a mild surging on the digital tach of 100-150 rpm's at fast idle(1200-1800). It was confirmed by putting my ear up to the engine and hearing the subtle up and down revving.

It happened leaving the dock and on the way back from a 40+ mile trip.

At all other speeds no surging occured.

I dont know if its a non issue or something I need to address.

I have put only 55 hours on the engine and I am still learning its nuances.

Thanks in advance.
happy.gif
"

"I had the same issue with my

"I had the same issue with my '07 225. The dealer, who is very reputable, said that the surging is normal below 1000 rpm during warm up. This happened regularly for the first 80 hours or so, but after that, would not occur unless the engine had sat for a week or more. But I ramain a bit skeptical. Would like to hear from others who have looked into this issue."

"WD,
It happened when returni

"WD,
It happened when returning to port so it was fully warmed up and it also happened above the 1000 that your dealer stated.

Our symptoms look pretty similar."

"Just bringing it back to the

"Just bringing it back to the top.

3 trips and 19 hours later and surging has not changed. In fact during last trip it appeared to be somewhat worse with a greater change in rpm's.

Please advise Honda pro's.
happy.gif
"

"Your still on warranty I woul

"Your still on warranty I would think, take it to the shop. By the way in case some of you Honda owners aren't aware. In Canada (Alberta & Ontario and spreading) you now have to take your Honda outboard to a Honda car dealership for repairs and service. lol WTF Car guys working on outboards. The local Honda dealers have stopped promoting them and its only a matter of time they say before they will let them go. They admit Honda is not keeping up with development and are now falling behind other manufacturers. Sad for the company that pushed the industry towards new technology in the first place."

"Surging at lower RPM's is

"Surging at lower RPM's is usually due to the IAC valve getting clogged up with carbon from the crank case breather. The IAC valve is the little orange can shaped thing on top of the engine towards the back. Take off the two 10mm head screws and it will pop off without ripping the gasket. Check out the screen inside. If it is black/carboned up, clean it with some carb cleaner and compressed air. If this still doesn't solve the problem you probably need to to adjust the air/fuel mixture but I am not going to try to explain that here.

Surging at higher RPM's is most likely caused by spark partially fouled spark plugs. It could also be due to a partially clogged high pressure fuel filter, but more likely the plugs.

Eric Peterson
Specialty Marine"

Thanks HD.

Ill take a quick

Thanks HD.

Ill take a quick look at the valve before my next trip but will carbon be an issue with low hours?

Ill post the findings.

"G'day mate,
If you have

"G'day mate,
If you have any queries regarding your engines performance or any other issues for that matter, I would suggest you contact your selling dealer and ask if they have ( or can advise you as to who has ) the Honda Marine engine diagnosis program, known as Dr H. It is a very simple procedure to carry out and it will show all DTC's ( Detected Trouble Codes ) and can also be used to display Real Time values and operating modes of all engine management systems. Good luck, and i would be interested to know what is found, as ive never struck the issue you mention.
Jon."

Back