Logo

0777647 - Amplifier Kit

Eddie327

So would anyone know how to check this amplifier and or coil or maybe know what type readings you should get maybe on DVM? The reason I am asking is I purchased one and now it does not seem to work anymore and read about others having similar problems in some reviews. This was purchased to fit my 85ESL69S motor which was working fine on the original Motorola that came with motor originally. After looking at the condition of the wires most all insulation was gone and the wiring itself just brittle along with the two wires going to the points so I decided it would be best to replace this so I ordered the new 0777647 kit that replaces the original 0383299 amplifier assembly. Wired up as per instructions very easy and straight forward fired right up on the hose so let it run about 30 minutes or so turning it on and off and no issues at that time. Decided to go put it in the water and it didn't really fire right up like it did at the house but did manage to get it running and idled away from the launch about 3 to 5 minutes and it shut off to not run anymore. Brought it back home messed with it but no luck. So today I decided to temporary wire up my old original amplifier and coil just to see what would happen and it fired right up and run. So that being said have I got a bad unit or something happened to it since it ran the 30 minutes it did just fine? It did not come with any ohm test or such to check it for correct operation but thought someone out there may know how to check one or what the ohm readings should be.

Remove flywheel.----Remove distributor cap.----Inspect anti-reversing spring.-----Clean and set breaker points at 0.010" -----Clean rotor and distributor cap.-----Assemble and test run motor.

Are any other wires bad? Could it have gotten a power spike into the kill circuit?
No not that I can find and I have looked multiple times. Yes I suppose anything is possible though not sure how but that is why I was trying to figure out how to check unit to prove good or bad.

Kill circuit is 12V on or off
If you mean the safety kill switch yes on. I have 12 volts at the red wire on the unit when switch is in on position.

The amplifier is only part of the system. You also have the parts under the flywheel, and the 12V supply.
Yes I have been into all those parts numerous times now and even swapped the distributor out trying to fix another problem I had unrelated to starting as I am now. That post can be found here http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...se-Plate-Assembly-Binding&p=675518#post675518

Remove flywheel.----Remove distributor cap.----Inspect anti-reversing spring.-----Clean and set breaker points at 0.010" -----Clean rotor and distributor cap.-----Assemble and test run motor.
The anti reversing spring is there and around the crankshaft and looks like brand new. I have checked the points gap now more than twice and have thoroughly cleaned the rotor and distributor.

When I tried this the other day keep in mind I did all this over about two hours. I hooked water to motor and tried and it will spin over nicely but not even trying to crank. So me being in the trade of instrumentation/electrical field I tend to think about this like at work and that would be ok what has changed since the motor always cranked and now it does not. The obvious answer is the amplifier/coil. So after the motor just spins over but no crank I got my old amplifier/coil with the insulation falling off and the wires breaking and unhooked the new one and temporarily wired my old one back in checked everything to make sure all was correct turn the key motor fires up immediately and continues to run. To me that checks all the things listed above correct? I just wanted to verify if possible by checking the new amplifier/coil out if I had some test reading to verify it to.

Back