Logo

06 BF200 20" shaft shift rod issue - binding?

m smith

Contributing Member
Dropped the lower unit to replace my water pump. Put everything together, the shifter is binding. The boat is a dual station with tower set up with Morse controls. I replaced the gear change cable from the lower control to the motor. Each part of the system works as expected. With the gear cable detached from the motor, the shifter handle has full range of motion, easy operation and works in concert with the upper control. With the lower unit off and everything hooked up, the shifter handle works with the same full range. It hits the detent at neutral and goes into forward and reverse with no issue. The shifter rod turns as expected, no binding. I did notice the e-ring on the underside of the engine mount plate was loose. I removed it and replaced with new part. The washer is still in place between the clip and the mount base. The shifter rod has some in and out play.

The lower unit also changes between forward/neutral/reverse easily when in the stand. The prop locks, no grinding. The lower unit oil looked fine when changed and the start of all this.

I installed the lower unit and found the shifter was locking up. When I loosen up the bolts and let it drop 1/16-1/18", it starts shifting properly. Properly tightened up, it is not shifting.

Any thoughts on what could be happening? I have replaced the shortblock on the motor myself, so I have stripped it down. I set up the shifter gears under the block and they functioned fine last season. The boat sat for a while. I do all my own service and have the factory service manual. It really dos not go into a lot of detail on the top side of the shifter rod other than setting up the gears.

Just rereading, I am guessing the master spline in the shift rod is either not lined up or damaged from previous misalignment, check but seeing if both ends slide smoothly onto the shift stub on the lower unit.

It's been a couple years since I did the tear down. Doesn't the shift rod pull out if the lower unit is dropped?

With the lower unit off, the shift rod does turn properly and easily, either manually at the lever under the cowl or using the gear selector on the console. The nub on the lower unit also engages the gear easily when on the stand. The system will not work when put together, individually all components work as expected.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I am say that the shift rod that links the top and bottom has possible got damaged splines, I have seen it often. There is a master spline so that it can only fit one way, if it was misaligned and the bolts are used to pull the lower unit up when refitting it, it will pull together but will damage the spline and at the same time put great upward pressure on the upper shift mechanism making it bind excessively. So what I am suggesting is, try sliding the intermediate shift shaft (the long shaft between the power head and lower unit) onto the shift shaft spline on the gear case and see it mates easily with no resistance and do the same with the top end, it should slide on with ease into the top section with a gentle nudge to lock it in. That is the only thing that can be causing your shift to bind up once it's all together, I have seen it often.

No, I understand. My question was should the shift rod drop out of the engine mount plate? I thought the shift rod should pull out after I drop the lower unit but it does not come out easily. I have not tried more vigerous methods to get it out. I agree, if it is not mated correctly on both ends it would bind up. This must be what is happening. Will get back on it this weekend.

Back