Logo

‘88 Evinrude 90 hp issues

jwalt66

Hello everyone. As the title states, I own an '88 evinrude 90 hp. I recently purchased it about a month ago and have been chasing problems ever since. A few issues that I am having are as follows;
-stall at idle in neutral
-must be started at high idle, even after warmed up
-while underway in forward gear, when I try to go WOT, I can only get 3000 rpm. I took it out today and tried to open it up to full throttle. After a brief run at 4500 rpms, it bogged down to 3000 rpms and stayed that way for the remainder of the run. It would briefly jump up like it was trying to open up but stayed at around 3000 rpms. This is all while the controls are at full throttle.
-idles and runs fine on muffs without any load

Repairs made so far:
-new plugs gapped at .040
-cleaned and rebuilt carbs
-new ignition coils
-new thermostats
-new water pump and impeller
-changed Lower unit oil
-changed fuel water seperater
-new ignition switch

These compression check came back with 100-90-89-80. Also, on the bottom starboard cylinder, the spark plug was as clean as it went in brand new as if it has never fired. I attached a picture below. I'd also like to note that while warming it up for the compression check I checked the temperature with a laser thermometer. The port side cylinders were at normal temp of around 130 degrees but the starboard side cylinders were only getting up to around 110 degrees. This was after about 15 minutes at 1000 rpm.
Could any of this be caused by a bad stator, timer base, or regulator? I'm not sure where to start and any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to boats and I am learning a lot. Sometimes more then I wanted to! I want to try to make this a reliable running motor so I can go wet some lines, but so far I have only been able to take it out for 2 test runs.

Attachments

• 1E055771-B4B7-4F98-BF14-D0667D12094E.jpg
    1E055771-B4B7-4F98-BF14-D0667D12094E.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 6
As stated, those compression numbers are awful. My 1990 90 hp has between 115 and 120 on all four. A 20% difference is far too much. If you have tested with different gauges, then you might as well pull the heads and see if your gaskets are bad and look at your cylinder walls and piston rings. It's probably going to be bad news I'm afraid.

Back