Logo

‘78 Mercury 500 where is model and serial number stamped?

floater1

Regular Contributor
I just picked up a boat/motor/trailer and everything is titled as 1978-confirmed by the seller who is the daughter of the the original owner. It’s the Merc 50 hp 4 cyl with two carbs. I need to find a carb kit but haven’t been able to find any model or serial numbers on the motor. I’ve read some older Merc’s were not stamped but had that info on a small metal tag that was riveted somewhere on the motor. Btw, I already did a search here with no answer found before posting this.

There should be a plate riveted to the tilt tube,under the steering bracket. Post a couple of pics of the block and decals,they're a fair guide to the year.

Think I found the model # it’s 5112447. As far as the serial # I found some numbers in other locations but not sure what is what. Not sure how many how many digits I should be looking for.

Mercury parts have identification numbers / casting numbers all over them.-----Other brands have these numbers too.-----Nothing to do with identifying the motor.----Serial # is used to order Mercury parts !!

Back