Logo

‘01 Honda 130 hp…… Known issues?

SoCalAngler

Regular Contributor
Going to look at an ‘01 Lund Mr. Pike 17.5’ boat.
It has an ‘01 Honda 130. I checked rating placard and the boat has a max HP rating of 130.

Owner says low hours and fresh water use only. I believe it is an EFI model.

Are there any known issues with this year/ model Honda?

How are hours verified on this model/year motor?
I don’t believe a compression test will be possible.

Is there a computer for electronic verification?

I plan on having owner starting/running motor. What should I be looking for?
I don’t believe a compression test will be possible.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, I had one of those I bought used 450 hours sold it with 850 hours.
The engine is EFI.
You can perform a compression test on those engines.
The early models had recalls with cracked and or blocked head issues.
I don’t think you can extract data with regard to hours on the engine.
These engines have a tendency to build up lime and scale so cleaning of the passages is important.

No way to verify hours other than owner records, no computer hookup. Make sure it pees water strongly at idle, if any overheating issues, it will alarm and shut down fairly soon. It should start easily and idle fairly smoothly like a Honda car. Ask the owner about maintenance, regular oil changes and when were the water pump, spark plugs and thermostat last changed.

There have been issues with these outboards but I’ve had no trouble with mine owned 6 years. Very good on fuel.

All you need to look at to condemn this bf130 is the port side of the engine block where the head attaches. How much head gasket is sticking (pushed) out?

You cannot miss it.

I was hoping it was a solid reliable motor as was my BF50. Sounds like it may have some idiosyncrasies that make it not so reliable.

It signifies that there might be Limescale buildup which pushes out the gasket which would in turn need to have the cylinder head and other passages cleaned up.

I have a complete untouched 2001 BF130 looking to divest does not run parts only is complete except for broken off spark plug stuck in the head #4cyl I dont feel like messing with it. pulled it off 01 Triumph replaced with BF150. Message if interested in whole engine or any parts. Parts are 25% boat net price plus shipping. Have engine crate to transport included for whole thing $1K .

Back