Logo

Concerns with my AQ140a and possible update to a newer motor Your favorite AQ motors

followingsea

Regular Contributor
"I've got my AQ140a put in

"I've got my AQ140a put into my 17-1/2', 1979 Campion project boat. The motor is just bolted in (motor mounts in front to mounting ring/transom shield in back) but nothing else yet. I've also acquired a parts motor for a few hundred bucks. I'm just doing this slowly in my spare time--no hurry.

I keep scheming about a slightly newer motor maybe with a hydraulic tilt system? Here's why.

Concerning my AQ140a--there are a few things I'd like to get away from:

1) That damn plastic strainer housing on top of the heat exchanger. Very difficult to find a replacement especially as time goes on.

2) The "hope it doesn't fail" electric/worm gear tilt/trim unit (ditto) Can it be updated to hydraulic?

3) The stock oil cooler (Aftermarket option?)

4) The weird way of adjusting valves with those little round numbered shim widgets.

Those are my main concerns with my present motor.

Which newer 4-cylinder (that matches my 280 Outdrive) would get me away from those concerns in the future? It's easiest to go slightly newer now than one or two years down the line. All thoughts or comments are welcome. I'm sure others are going through the same thought process or have been there.

"The grass is always greener...." ;)"
 
"Hey Dennis, I have a BB140A

"Hey Dennis, I have a BB140A in my 1980 Sisu boat. It always has some quirky problem and just seems to require way more than the normal maintenence. I take large groups of friends or family on lots of cruising trip. I hate that feeling when your unsure of the motor. I have briefly looked at the DougRusselmarine website and see they list complete 4 cylinder engines for around 4,900. I don't know about shiping or handiling. Or really what my installation options would be. Good Luck with yours"
 
"Dennis, there are no other mo

"Dennis, there are no other motors (Chevy, Ford, etc) that bolt into your bellhousing/drive. And even if you would change the bellhousing to install a V6 or V8, you would have to change the transom shield as well and install an exhaust Y-pipe. Sorry.

Also, regarding your other questions: 1) The plastic strainer is standard in all VP OHC engines; 2) There is no hydraulic replacement for the worm gear, but you can install a VP 280 outdrive with power trim (and that's opening another costly can of worms when it comes to get all the part you need); 3) There are no aftermarket direct replacement for your current oil cooler. However, I think you may be able to install a Volvo automotive oil filter housing (like this http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?ye ar=1986&make=VO&model=740-T-001&category=All&part=Oil%20Filter%20Housing&dp=true) and plumb a regular oil cooler on it, similar to the ones used for power steering cooling. This is being done in some V8 engines. And 4) That's the way all Volvo OHC engines adjust the valve clearance."
 
"Thanks again El Pescador for

"Thanks again El Pescador for facts and VP wisdom.

I checked that link out--looks good. Here's another link, it's to an eBay seller who has marine oil coolers. I think it would be a relatively simple conversion to use the oil filter adapter you mentioned along with this marine oil cooler for a more dependable oil cooling unit. As long as it can be fit into the space available. It would also get away from those copper pipes and rubber gaskets and upgrade to threaded pipe fittings and hoses with clamps. That should simplify life and add reliability to the oil cooling process. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARINE-OIL-COOLER-SENDURE-BOAT-TRANSMISSION-OIL-C OOLER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ124104QQihZ016QQitemZ260128490688QQrdZ1QQsspage nameZWDVW

One final question:

Of the 70's-80's 4-cylinder AQ series motors do you have a favorite? If so, why?"
 
"Dennis, I have never doen tha

"Dennis, I have never doen that type of project on a 4 cylinder VP, but I know that some V8 engines have an oil cooler (similar to the one at ebay) installed in the same fashion as the system we are discussing. However, the cooler is normally installed in the suction side of the raw water pump. Keeping that in mind, you may have to remove one section of the suction copper pipe between the raw water pump and the transom shield so that you can install the aftermarket cooler. Also, you will have to plumb together the copper pipes now going in and out the current cooler. Alternatively, you can remove those two pipes and install one from say an AQ131 or an AQ125, as those engines do not have an oil cooler.

I don't think it would be practical to remove the copper pipes and rubber gaskets and install threaded fittings. You will run into trouble in areas like the raw water cooling pump, the plastic raw water strainer, and the exhaust manifold. Personally, I would leave them the way they are.

I prefer the OHC to the OHV 4 cylinder VPs because I think fresh water cooling is the way to go. Other than that, no favourites, but keep in mind that sidedraft Solex carbs like the ones on the AQ140 are becoming a bit of a rarity."
 
"Thanks E.P., plenty of good s

"Thanks E.P., plenty of good stuff in your posts. We'll see how my project shakes out. Good points about some of those copper pipes and fittings.

My experience is very limited but living almost due east from you (Over here on Camano Island) I can't see any other way to go except fresh water cooling. So I'd agree with you on the Overhead Cam/Fresh water cooling models.

Another point: Seems like those models without the oil cooler might have a shorter life-span because they're running the oil a little hotter and thinner? Just my speculation. I think an updated, more reliable and larger capacity oil cooler would be some good insurance.

Water filter/strainer:

A (future) better, custom-made, strainer-housing is trying to take shape in the back of my mind to replace that plastic piece of crap that tends to warp and crack, etc.. That metal cap that rusts and hangs up on the top of the plastic housing sucks IMHO. I can envision a nice little model built out of stainless or maybe even epoxy/fiberglass? I may mess around with some designs during the slow winter months.

Solex sidedraft carbs? I've got two complete sets on the manifolds (4 carbs, 100% stock & complete) and another rebuilt set and manifold on the way. I think I'm okay for now ;)

}I might even be selling one set on eBay."
 
"e.p, could you get a v6 bellh

"e.p, could you get a v6 bellhousing and just run the exhaust to transom outlets like an inboard. i just bought a v8 bellhousing and if the 170 ever packs up thats what i will be doing."
 
Back
Top