Logo

PDH housing rebuild 1977 280 on Chris Craft

oldshore

Contributing Member
"I have a 1977 Chris Craft Lan

"I have a 1977 Chris Craft Lancer with a 280 drive and the extended separate drive shaft housing. I am installing new bearings, seals and clips.

1) Should the new bearing slide on the shaft with little effort or do they need to be pressed on?
The existing shaft has rust and pitting; I am using emery cloth to remove and polish the bearing surfaces, and need to know how far to go.
2) Seals - there are many types of seals out there.
Any suggestions which type to use?
At the
Rocket Seals website they have at least 10 different types.
Thanks
Jay"
 
"RE: "1) Should the ne

"RE: "1) Should the new bearing slide on the shaft with little effort or do they need to be pressed on?
The existing shaft has rust and pitting; I am using emery cloth to remove and polish the bearing surfaces, and need to know how far to go. "

I usually install bearings that require a tight fit to either the bore or the shaft by letting the shaft sit in the freezer overnight and putting the bearing in a warm ( under 250) oven for an hour. When this done, the bearing will slide on the shaft (wear gloves) quite readily...for about 30 seconds!.

As to cleaning up the shaft... just enough to remove the rust and barely leave a shiny surface. Take too much off and the bearing won't fit correctly.

Seals... best left to those with more knowledge on the subject than me."
 
"Jay, For sure you have an [b]

"Jay, For sure you have an "extended" Holman Moody style Borg Warner/Volvo Penta PDS housing?????
Now we have the difference between a single bearing shaft, and double bearing shaft.
I can just about tell you which bearings/seals will work if double bearing shaft:

6007 FWD bearing and 6006 AFT bearing. (these are open bearings)
Steer clear of Chinese brands!

Seals are 35x62x7mm and 35x55x7mm respectively.
TCM or Timken will get you the seal you want.
These bearings are usually a stocked item (major bearing supplier) but it may take 2-3 days to bring the seals in.

I don't think you will have any issues installing the bearings. You will need an extraordinarily long needle nose pliers (tips customized) in order to reach two expansion type snap rings (3 total).

Quote:"Any other advice regarding the seals?"

Yes, with the bearings/shaft installed, pump the cavity full of a good high pressure bearing grease as you spin the shaft and until you see grease come through the open bearings.

Stop and Glue the fwd seal in place in the conventional direction.

At this point ONLY, install the aft seal in a non-conventional direction!
(if either seal is to allow grease pressure to escape, you want it to be AFT seal)

Wella..... you are ready to go!

Lube in the future with engine @ idle..... three/four pumps only.
No Green Marine grease, and best to not mix grease types.

."
 
Back
Top