Logo

Blew up my aq151

laddie

"Sadly, after working hard for

"Sadly, after working hard for five months and finally getting it running good, She let go. I was cruising at 3200 with normal temp and oil pressure and it made a deathly noise. Upon inspection, there was a hole through both sides of the block on the lower end. You can look right through. I assume it was the work of a loose rod. Any suggestions on finding a replacement? I hope maybe I can just replace the whole block and it's components, assuming the head is not damaged."

"Indeed, it seems that your en

"Indeed, it seems that your engine threw a rod.

Your engine block is a B230 and there are automotive blocks that are a direct replacement. However, the crankshaft and pistons are specifically Volvo Penta and I don't know of any automotive version that would be direct replacement for your AQ151. If the crankshaft is in good condition (I doubt very much that will be the case) and all or most of the pistons are OK, you may be able to build another engine by transplanting them to an automotive B230 and buying the reminder (say one or two pistons and rings) from Volvo Penta. Other than that, you may want to look for a used engine (try eBay) or repower to a new or remanufactured AQ151 (but the latter will likely be big bucks)."

"If I repower, I think I'm

"If I repower, I think I'm going chevy 350. I have one rebuilt from the ground up. What has to be done to this engine to convert to a marine application? What are my options for stern drives?"

I was planning on replacing th

I was planning on replacing the drive as well. I don't want the same thing to happen to my drive as did the engine and I would rather start fresh with all power components. I know this is a Volvo thread but can you steer me in the right direction to replace my setup? I think if I am starting from scratch I'd rather go GM or something else a little cheaper to maintain than VP.

"Mike, you can apply two philo

"Mike, you can apply two philosophies here: 1) Run a low maintenance, highly dependable plant like Volvo Penta, or 2) Run a not-so-dependable (but with an initial lower price) Mercruiser plant.

Vovlo Penta parts are, undeniably, more expensive than Mercruisers; but it is also undeniable that the quality of the components is far higher. And he 4 cylinder AQ engines are nothing but marinized car engines, and you can find lots of those engines in good condition auto wrecking yards. Also, you can buy a whole used outdrive in good condition (270, 275, 280 or 290) for less than a $1000 bucks and keep it as spare for a worst case scenario. With this in mind, I am confident than in the long run a VP plant would be cheaper to maintain than a Mercruiser.

Nevertheless, if you want to go the Mercruiser way, you will have to find a full package with a 350 and an outdrive. Because the hole in the transom is bigger for the VP transom shield than for the Mercruiser's, you will have to either rework the transom or get hold of a transom plate adapter that will block part of the current hole in the transom and allow you to bolt in directly a Mercruiser outdrive. On the positive side, one thing you will like from Mercruiser is the power trim package that comes with every outdrive."

I think I agree. I would like

I think I agree. I would like to pull my crank from the ruined block and see if it is o.k. I also may be able to salvage three pistons. What is the difference between the marine pistons and crank and the auto? Do you know where these parts are available? I buy parts from a shop that has an aq140 used for around $2000. What is difference between that motor and the 151?

"Mike, I believe the AQ151 has

"Mike, I believe the AQ151 has a forged crankshaft (not cast) and has 86 mm stroke instead of 80mm so it requires pistons with shorter compression height. This link will give you an idea:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=300636

Also, the AQ140 has a B21 block (2.1L) instead of a B230, and has a maximum output of 125 HP (that is, about 20 fewer HP than your current engine).

Not sure about the availability of the parts you are asking for. I believe the forged crank is exclusive Volvo Penta (not Volvo automotive), but it seems that a cast crankshaft will also fit (though I am not sure about the results). Regarding pistons, your best bet would be taking a used one to a shop dealing with Volvo cars or to a good autoparts store and try to cross-reference it. I know of a shop that may have that information but they are located in Vancouver Island (British Columbia, Canada). Here is a link to their site, which also has their toll-free numbers.

http://www.chapmanmotors.ca/

Good luck."

"Mike, You should really heed

"Mike, You should really heed El's advice and stay with V/P. I'm OEM certified on all three, well two now since OMC did us a favor and went kaput, and V/P is by FAR the best S/D out there and in my opinion, the AQ was and still is their best drive."

"I live near a couple of huge

"I live near a couple of huge junk yards which I'm sure are full of old 740's. I think I will get an engine and salvage the block. I'm hoping my crank is in good shape. If the other three pistons and rods are descent I should be o.k.. Is the head on the aq marine specific? Can I get pistons, rings, rod, bearings etc. for my engine through volvo?"

Back