Logo

One last for you Joe

F

Frank Chibu

" Joe, I hope you get commissi

" Joe, I hope you get commission or something from this sight. 1 last thing. I noticed after my last outing my lower unit was leaking fluid. The screw was loose. I said, Oh well, time to change the lower fluid. Take the screw out, drain it, then I notice that the screw I removed that was loose was the shifter rod screw, not the flat-head lower end unit drain!! I checked the book, it said NEVER mess with this screw. Well, it was already loose, So I had to do something, but am I in trouble? I also noticed some, not a lot of metal shavings stuck to the lower flat-head. Advice??

Thanks

Frank Chibu "

"Frank..... Commission? No, An

"Frank..... Commission? No, Andrew did say that he would pay me what I'm worth, but I told him I couldn't live on that <grin>. That philips head screw... as long as it was simply loose, or even backed out to the end of its threads, that's okay. The trouble would start if it was removed completely. It's a shoulder bolt with a shank which is approximately (the shank part) 3/4" long. This shank acts as a pivot point for the shift lever that operates a shifter dog, etc. If the screw is removed, the lever will drop and the only way to put it back (unless one is extremely lucky and blessed by God himself) is to dismantle the lower unit (not fun at all). Do this to seal the screw. Tilt the engine and tilt it so as to have the screw facing up of course. Back the screw out a couple turns. Clean the area around the screw with laquer thinner or acetone. Squirt a small amount of "Marpox 1000" around the few exposed threads, and tighten the screw. The "Marpox 1000" sealer will cure within a very short time. If after loosing the screw a couple turns at the start of this procedure you have a problem with oil dripping out, of course drain out the lube. If the lubes good, save it, reuse it of course. Note that "Marpox" makes other numbered sealers.... use the "1000".

Joe
"

"Frank... I neglected to menti

"Frank... I neglected to mention, if you have indeed removed that screw completely, then reinstalled it, and you can shift to forward, neutral, reverse.... you are one of the lucky/blessed ones. If on the other hand, there is a shift problem (you can tell by spinning the prop and shifting w/o having the engine running), the lower unit will require dismantling.

Joe
"

"I guess I am blessed... Was

"I guess I am blessed... Was on the water last night and this morning, no problems.

Again- Thanks for your help. If you ever need help with a freaking computer, let me know.

Frank

[email protected]"

Back