Logo

56 evinrude lark 35 hp wonbt run

shane

"i am trying to get this motor

"i am trying to get this motor running . it has been sitting for about 10 years , ran great before, now it seems to not get enough gas . i rebuilt the carb, new gas lines ,runs good if i keep priming it other wise dies . and if you could tell me what the air line is for and if i can do away with it? any help would be greatly appreciated [email protected]"

" Shane.... You don't say

" Shane.... You don't say if you're trying to run that engine on a single line fuel tank or if you actually have the dual line fuel tank.

However, your question about the air line leads me to believe that you're using the single line tank which won't work with that engine.

There are two lines on that engine, a outgoing air line and a incoming fuel line. That engine requires that you use a older style "pressure" tank. The engine pumps air to the tank via the air line you asked about which is not vented. The air pressure within the tank then forces the fuel to the engine via the fuel line.

Some of those engines can be converted to the later fuel pump setup, yours may be one of them. Sorry to say that I don't have the part numbers for what you might need. Hopefully someone else can supply that information.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

I have almost the same motor

I have almost the same motor mine is a 30 hp i took a fuel pump off a 69' 40 hp evinrude and installed it to get rid of the pressure tank which are getting expensive and hard to find in good shape if yours is a pressure tank make sure that your cap is tight no air leaks i learned that the hard way

" sorry i forgot to say i am u

" sorry i forgot to say i am using the 2 line system , iwent through the tank and as far as i can tell it is not leaking. when i took the cover off the motor there was a wire , that was taped with an eyelet just laying there and there was nothing to the centre nut on what i think is the pump. there are 2 ground wires attached to the pump body from the throttle lever i hooked up the eyelet to the centre nut thinking it would be the power wire , but it still doesn't run. i haven't checked the wire for power. does the motor have to be running for there to be power at that wire or will it have power when the battery is connected? how would i check the air pump? the only other place i can think of that i might have an air leak would be at the connector from the tank to the motor.thank you for your help Shane "

" sorry i forgot to say i am u

" sorry i forgot to say i am using the 2 line system , iwent through the tank and as far as i can tell it is not leaking. when i took the cover off the motor there was a wire , that was taped with an eyelet just laying there and there was nothing to the centre nut on what i think is the pump. there are 2 ground wires attached to the pump body from the throttle lever .i hooked up the eyelet to the centre nut thinking it would be the power wire , but it still doesn't run. i haven't checked the wire for power. does the motor have to be running for there to be power at that wire or will it have power when the battery is connected? how would i check the air pump? the only other place i can think of that i might have an air leak would be at the connector from the tank to the motor.thank you for your help Shane "

That small device is not a pu

That small device is not a pump of any kind. It is a device that will short out one set of points should you encounter a runaway engine and have the quickness of mind to close the throttle.

The air is pumped directly out of the crancase area via a small valve setup at the leaf plate area. The air pressure is generated by the downward force of the piston skirt.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)

" To Joe with 30 years experie

" To Joe with 30 years experience..

I have a 1969 evinrude 6hp, a great engine, but I have a bad (pinholes) fuel pump diagphram and have searched for replacement parts with no success...
My question is whether or not I can replace the pump with a later model pump, as it appears to be your basic square vacuum powered pump???

Help.... Larry "

Back