Logo

More qbs 1963 Johnson 75hp

C

ChrisJohnson

"Thanks very much for the quic

"Thanks very much for the quick answer about the fuel mix on my 'new' (to me) motor. I got her up and running, albeit a little roughly, this evening. Having never owned an outboard this old, I have a general question or two.
Are there any particular issues/problems/tricks to know about running this engine? I restore old Mustangs for a hobby, but this a a little different than a good old 289-V8. Also, after running it this afternoon I had what looked to me to be an abnormal amount of oil or lube (hard to tell) floating in the barrel of water I had the engine running in. The motor was used 'a few times' this year by the previous owner, so I didn't go terribly far in checking it out before running it. Other than a nice cloud of smoke when it fired and a slight miss (plug wires look pretty shot) it sounded pretty good. Thoughts? And thanks again, this is a great site!
PS - I have the service manual on order, just impatient!"

"I have a 1964 Johnson 75HP mo

"I have a 1964 Johnson 75HP motor. Runs very well. It does go through the gas but is a lot of fun to use. I had to rebuild the carb and fuel pump replaced points, condensor and rotor(hard to find rotor). Will rebuild the water pump this fall. Use the equivalnet plug for a 6J6 type. Don't stirp out the powerhead tightening the plugs!!

Look for parts here and on Ebay:
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp/AsplIsmShoppingCart.jsp?reqFor=21&reqCartId =

Also shop on Ebay and buy an orginial operations and parts manual. Was very useful for me.
Bill"

"The oil you are seeing may be

"The oil you are seeing may be unburnt fuel. Validate by opening the lower drain plug in the gearcase. If water comes out then you have a gearcase seal problem. Otherwise a) it's a result of the motor not being warm enough to burn efficiently or b) your idle mix is too rich.

Aside from the plug wires being the cause of the slight miss, it is probably the exhaust gases getting sucked back into the carbs. the only true test of a motor's health is to get it out on a boat."

Back