Logo

Oil to fuel concept

K

Kellen Carson

" I am considering reusing old

" I am considering reusing old engine oil as engine fuel as suggested by the Oil X-Change-R® company, but don't want to screw up my engines. This feature is part of a permanently mounted oil changing system. Here is what they claim:

"With the Oil-To-Fuel Blending System you can avoid the problem of disposal and turn waste crankcase oil into diesel fuel. The system incorporates the X-Change-R® oil change system with a special centrifugal filter and control head to create an effective and cost efficient blending system. It is designed to remove used crankcase oil from any combination of three engines and blend it with diesel fuel taken from the engines' fuel tanks. The blended mixture is filtered and returned to the tank where it is utilized as fuel. Diesel engine manufacturers have conducted extensive tests on the use of 5% filtered crankcase oil as a diesel fuel extender. Diesel fuel blended with oil has a much higher BTU output and greater lubricity. There is no change in flash point or cetane ratings. More importantly, there is no loss of engine performance or increase in engine wear. And there is no increase in engine smoke or emissions!"

Has anybody actually tried this? Has it worked ok? "

" I am certainly not a diesel

" I am certainly not a diesel guru but you have not gotten a responce so I will offer my two cents on it.

I think it sounds like an interesting concept, and after trying it out you may be quite impressed. Then again you might not.

What would be the expected life of of that cetrifugal filter you mention. Does it require replacement elements and if so how often? How much does that replacement filter cost, and how much will that offset your expected savings by using the old oil as fuel.

What is the initial cost of the complete system, to include normal maintenance, and with that in mind how long would it take before you truly begin to realize a savings. If you spend, $5000 to save $100 per year on fuel (remember your buying oil to make fuel out of) Then it would take you 50 years to break even.

Besides, I try to stay away from being a pioneer on new and exciting gadgets. If it catches on, and people begin to return good reports then before long someone other than X-Change-R® will start making similar products. The competition will drive down the cost of it, making it more affordable and impove the expected cost savings while also probably offer improvments in the design that would reduce maintenance costs and provide the same effect.

My opinion, watch from the sidelines and see if this company truly has a good product before you jump in there and wish later you had waited. You can always get in later if it looks like a great machine after it has a proven track record but once you plop that check down on the counter your going to be pretty much stuck with the decision. "

" we boaters go to great lengt

" we boaters go to great lengths to protect our investment in an expensive diesel engine. this includes keeping our fuel clean. why oh why would we add dirty oil to it. While most of the dirt would be captured in the filters the thought of some of it getting into the high pressure pump leaves me shaking my head. And, what about the increased exhaust smoke. sounds like a bad idea to me. other thoughts? "

" After checking their web sit

" After checking their web site it seems to me that the $2000 it might cost for the system, could pay for a lot of trips to the waste oil tank.
I have had experience with engine manufacturers reccommending motor oil being added to the fuel for a diesel engine. The only circumstance I know of is when an alternative fuel is being used such as Kerosene or JP fuels because of their lower lubricating ability. For the system to pay for it self you would need to burn nearly 1335 gallons of motor oil at $1.50 per gallon of diesel. I don't know what your engine oil change requirements are but I bet that would take a while. "

" look at used lube oil under

" look at used lube oil under a microscope--metal particles,fuel pump injectors ete wear very quickly when oilchamges tipped in fuel tanks DICK "

Back