Logo

Pertroncs vs Hot Spark Ignition

thostorey

Regular Contributor
"Some have reported 'issue

"Some have reported 'issues' with Hot Spark ignition and that the installation of a Pertronics ignition solved their problem(s).
What were the issues?

Thanks, Tom"

"Hi Tom,
the fitting instruct

"Hi Tom,
the fitting instructions for the HotSpark unit are almost identical word for word to the PerTronix instructions shown in the site posted up by Morten. Current limits (4A), coil primary resistance (3.2ohms), ballst resistor value(1.3ohms, if required),fitting procedure, etc are almost identical. The unit itself also looks identical externally. Having said all that, I still haven't been able to get my new HotSpark to produce a single spark whereas people seem to have no serious issues with the Pertronix units. In my case the calculated current flowing to the module is just 3A, well within the 4A limit. I am now wondering if the $40 difference in the price tag is achieved at the expense of Quality Assurance at the factory?"

"I guess the reason I posted t

"I guess the reason I posted the question is that a number of threads, where the subject is not about the solid state ignition systems, tell of problems or differences between Pertronics and Hot Spark ignition system. It would be nice to get all the issues on one thread so we have it cataloged for future reference.

For the record, I have the Hot Spark system installed and it works just as advertised. However, I seem to have lost 'rev-up' speed since installation. I open the throttle and the response is less 'dramatic' that it was before, not that that was spectacular. I think I've got the timing right but it is an issue I'm working on.

Tom"

"Hi Lawrence, Did you say that

"Hi Lawrence, Did you say that the Hot Spark people are sending you a replacement for your defective system? Let us know what happens and how the replacement works. Seems, at least, they are standing by the product.

Tom"

"I think the difference is in

"I think the difference is in quality.
I have installed pertronix, and have NO problems on start up or power.
Course, I got the kit before hotspark came out with theirs.
Dealing with engine parts,daily, I have found that cheaper isn't always better.
In fact there is usually a reason it is cheaper. That usually is quality, not competition."

"I installed the pertronix wit

"I installed the pertronix with no problems. Not cheap but I went with it re quality concerns. After trying to source my problems I didn't want the hot spark to be one more unknown. That said it cost $100.00 CAD. The unit doesn't have that much electronics, I think you are paying for what was pertronixs hold on the market."

"Lawrence, et al; I understand

"Lawrence, et al; I understand someone set timing on an EI with static method. If so, what is the procedure for this? TIA"

"Hello Dennis,
After installi

"Hello Dennis,
After installing the EI you will need to run the engine to normal working temperature and then set the timing to the manufacturer's spec. to start the engine initially, rotate the engine manually in the normal direction of rotation so that the crank pulley mark is adjacent to the TDC mark on the degree scale. Make sure that the distributor rotor is pointing in the 10 o'clock position and that the distributor cap pillar connected to no1 cylinder via the high tension lead is more or less in line with the rotor when the cap is fitted in place. Given that the carbs are properly set the engine should now be able to start. You might need to rotate the distributor slightly to get even running. Once the engine has reached operating temperature rig up a strobe light and set to the recommended values (6deg BTDC @ 850 rpm or 32deg BTDC @ 4400 rpm for the AQ151C)"

Back