Logo

131a will not rev under load

"I just changed the cap,rotor,

"I just changed the cap,rotor,plugs,plug wires,installed pertronixs electronic ignition and rebuilt the carb because it would run like crap above 3000rpm.Now it runs great,starts with a turn of the key but under load it won't rev past 2800 rpm. Any suggestions?"

"Gary, what ever happened with

"Gary, what ever happened with the coil?"

"Gary, some items I think you

"Gary, some items I think you should check include that you don't have a stuck anti-syphon valve in the fuel tank; that the fuel pump is delivering between 2-4 psi; that the carb fine filter is clean (part 38 in the link)

http://www.volvopentastore.com/CARBURETOR_856126/dm/store_id.366--session_id.393 664277--cart_id.576176356--category_id.332883--list_time.1188881736--view_id.324 065

that the carb butterfly valve is fully one when the control lever is at WOT position; and that your distributor mechanical advance is working correctly (i.e. no broken springs or seized weights).

Also, make sure that the timing belt has not jumped a tooth (or more)."

the prop size is 14 1/2 by 18.

the prop size is 14 1/2 by 18.Before I changed everything it would rev up to 4700.The timing is 12 degrees at 850 rpm and I know the fuel pump works well because I accidently started the motor up without the fuel line attached and it blew fuel like a garden hose.Is the advance only mechanical or is it vaccum ?

"It is just mechanical.

Ga

"It is just mechanical.

Gary, you may want to consider taking the distributor to Tom at Islad D in Wilgress Rd, Nanaimo. I think he charges around 30 bucks for testing the advance curve and functionality, but I found it is money well spent. Of course, repairs and parts (if needed) will be extra. Tom has tested and adjusted a couple of distributors for me during the last couple of years, and I am very pleased with the results."

El Pescador u seem to know a l

El Pescador u seem to know a lot about these AQ131A do u or anyone else have a pic of the timing marks and where they should be i think mine may have jumped and id like to eliminate the timing at least and move on but mine also wont rev under load it falls on its face any advice would be greatly appreceited THANKS

"This picture is from a car, b

"This picture is from a car, but it will give you an idea of where the timing marks are located. If you need more complete info, the Seloc manual gives a good description of the timing marks and their location.

88416.jpg
"

thanks for the pic but do i ha

thanks for the pic but do i have to remove the v-belt pulley in order to c the marks on the crank and also i cant get my tensioner to move at all how do these move im afraid to break it but i tried turning the bolt in the cennter both ways and it dont move or the bolt comes out

"El pescador,The dist comes ou

"El pescador,The dist comes out saturday after fishing.I see your on one of the fishing forums that I am on,have you been fishing lately?Heading up to Port Alberni in the am"

"Jeff, you will have to remove

"Jeff, you will have to remove the heat exchanger, the raw water pump, the timing belt cover and the crankshaft pulley to do the job properly.

Also, the tensioner nut 16 should come out if you use a breaker bar and a socket. It is a normal rihgt-hand thread nut so you will have to to turn it counterclockwise, like any normal bolt or nut.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/BELT_TRANSMISSION_AQ131A/dm/store_id.366--session _id.396670497--cart_id.443433535--category_id.332888--list_time.1189221195--view _id.324165

One bit of advice: get the Seloc manual for your engine and outdrive if you are going to do the job by yoursdelf and have no previous experience working on either of them."

"Hi Gary, I have not been in B

"Hi Gary, I have not been in Barkley Sound or the Alberni inlet for the last 3 weeks. The fishing reports are not very encouraging, so I am a bit reluctant to just burn gas for nothing. However, it seems like the cohos are starting to show-up.

Good luck fishing in the inlet, and please post an update in the sportfishing forum when you can."

Back