Logo

Engine data amp Raymarine C70 instrument integration

J

Joeph Agius

"I have a volvo 2030D engine o

"I have a volvo 2030D engine on my sailing boat & would like to integrate engine data with my Raymarine C70 enabling me to monitor critical engine functions like RPM, oil pressure, fuel level, flow rate, coolant temperature etc etc. Does anyone knows whether this is possible?"

"Any EVC “B” or later Volvos c

"Any EVC “B” or later Volvos can display the engine data on the C & E series display, rather than buy all the Raymarine seatalk 2 cables at silly prices I did the following which is much more cost effective and gives you an NMEA200 network for future integration of further instrumentation and tankage display.

For a single engine you will need Volvo part # 3807587, this is the J1939 to NMEA 2000 converter (weather you use Raymarine cables or NMEA2000 network) this is a simple plug and play into your ECU X5 socket, that will give you a male NMEA2000 output to the network. You will then need an NMEA 2000 starter kit and 1 seatalk2 plug with bare cable the other end in whatever length of cable is appropriate and 1 field attachable NMEA2000 male connector to connect to the bare end and plug into the network. The NMEA 2000 stuff is all available through Offshore marine http://www.osukl.com/Introduction.htm and their site will give you useful info for planning the installation, good luck, mine worked first time plug and play."

"Hi there - I, too have a volv

"Hi there - I, too have a volvo MD2030D engine and a C70. David, thanks for the info, any chance you could go a touch slower for us neophytes?!
Is a volvo md2030D an EVC "B" or later engine? how does one know?
where is the ecux5 socket on the engine?
If your boat doesnt have instrumentation with oil pressure and water temperature, does the engine still have all of the sensors for it? I presume that they all wire into this ecu x5 socket? Any more info would be fantastic - thanks!"

"Gordon, basically the engine

"Gordon, basically the engine should be “fly by wire” with it’s own can bus to get simple NMEA 2000 data for your C70, I am quite sure you engine is not so I’m afraid it’s no go, as far as I am aware nobody makes separate sensors with NMEA output apart from tank sensors. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings."

Back