Logo

SOLEX SIDE DRAFT CARBS

cbdinak

SHOULD I KEEP THE SIDE DRAFT C

SHOULD I KEEP THE SIDE DRAFT CARBS. OR SWITCH TO DOWN DRAFT CARBS? I HAVE FOUR SIDE DRAFT CARBS AND THEY SEEM TO BE GIVING ME MORE PROBLEMS THAN MY DOWN DRAFT CARBS ON MY OTHER BOAT. ANY INPUT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

"If you can get two downdrafts

"If you can get two downdrafts with an intake manifold, you are probably better off than with the sidedrafts. Downdrafts are more common and seem to give less trouble than sidedrafts. You may even recover some $$$$$ selling your sidedrafts afterwards."

"El Pesc, for shame! <[img]"ht

"El Pesc, for shame!
biggrin.gif

I would go for the downdraft. Even after a rebuild I still had troubles of some kind or another with the sidedrafts. I finally gave up and sold the boat. I Couldn't tell if it was carb related but I suspected when I went through every other point in the fuel system. Tank, filters, pump, and carbs."

"So you sold your boat, PugetS

"So you sold your boat, PugetSounder? Shame!!! ...but probably smart
lol.gif
. I think it is no coincidence that VP did not have the sidedrafts installed in more than two models (AQ120B and AQ140A). I managed to get mine work on my previous boat (AQ140A), but they never ran as good as I would like.

Back to your "new to you" boat, I somehow suspect that you may have just traded one problem for another one.
biggrin.gif
"

"Hopefully not. I got my 19&#3

"Hopefully not. I got my 19' cuddy I was looking for. 1982 Sunrunner with the MC 470 package. It came fully eqipped and well maintained and spent all it's life on Lake Washington. Only a couple of slight fixes such as the trim tab and sone stitching on the canvas. All in all a pretty nice boat. I've already had more fun with it in the past two weeks than I did with the Bayliner that I had for 6 months! But it does have a mercruiser package so we'll see......

Too bad you don't do Mercruiser, we could use a knowledgable guy like you over there
happy.gif
"

"PugetSounder, I used to do Me

"PugetSounder, I used to do Mercruisers, and somehow I think the number 470 brings bad memories. I recall they had a certain type of aluminum manifold that sometimes cracked and flood the engine cylinders with raw water. Hopefully you won't go through the same experience.

Enjoy the standard power trim that Mercruiser has (BTW, I think I recall that Mercruiser bought the patent from VP), that's what I miss the most in my VP AQ."

"So far as I can tell on the 4

"So far as I can tell on the 470 is either you love them or you hate them. I am taking the chance that if it was taken care of and well maintained I will be in the love them category. I suppose you could learn to hate anything that wasn't maintained properly. The guy had service records dating back to the eighties at the same service marina. it only has 720 hours so I am keeping my fingers crossed
biggrin.gif
"

Back