Logo

Do Boyesen Power Reeds Help

ramrod

"I have installed a set of Boy

"I have installed a set of Boyesen two stage reeds in my 1992 Mercury 15HP. I have not had time or weather yet to test the performance of this motor. On the Boyesen web site they have an article that states the following quote."9.9 and 15hp. engines will run like engines twice the size!".

http://www.boyesen.com/article/articleview/27/1/30/

My question is this, has anyone had any experience with this product?"

" A friend of mine who races t

" A friend of mine who races the 15hp Johnrudes installed Boyesons (a legal modification) in his racing engine and noticed about a 1mph increase, maybe as much as two. (52mph vs. 54mph). Not sure what sort of differences you'd notice in a service motor environment...
- Scott "

" Ramrod,

I have doubts abo

" Ramrod,

I have doubts about engines performing as if they were twice the size, just because the fuel flow has been modified. I do believe that these reeds have some value aside from enhancing performance.

It seems to me that the low speed fuel flow should be smoother , especially at idle or close to idle speed due to the two stage construction.

For the average boater, the biggest advantage, in my opinion is that if a reed breaks off (which can happen) there is no chance of internal damage to the engine because these reeds are not steel.

Tony "

Thank you Guys for your input

Thank you Guys for your input on these reeds. I will have to give them a try as soon as it gets warmer out. I use the motor on a 14 foot Smoker Craft Canadian cartopper. This boat planes as easy as any aluminum boat I've ever tried. My friend and I almost put her on plane with a Evinrude 1.5 HP mate. Last time out with the Merc 15 and a 10.5" pitch prop I topped out at 28.2MPH (GPS reading)so I have a reference point to judge by. It seemed pretty fast in that open little boat but was nothing like the ride with my 1953 Merc Mark 20. I never did get the stain out of my pants from that ride.

I have a 1983 Evenrude 2cyl 5

I have a 1983 Evenrude 2cyl 50hp OB> How can I increase the hp to 60 ???
What mods do I have to make ???
Gary

" Ramrod,

I am in agreement

" Ramrod,

I am in agreement with Tony, on a stock engine I wouldn't expect twice the speed (hp) but you do have the great low speed advantage. For fisherman you can maintain trolling speeds at a really slow, steady, pace without loading up. I have a Merc. 200hp Bridgeport, low water pick up, you know a high performance engine. These engines are equipped with Boyesen Power Reeds from the factory but they are a high performance (racing) engine. I think Boyesen is , like any other company, targeting other consumer markets. I would be interested to hear how it does when you get some soft, slick water though.
Chuck "

" Any of you guys know where I

" Any of you guys know where I can get some old Chrysler Outboard parts? I have an old 3.5 hp Chrysler engine. Looking for someone that has first hand experience in where to buy parts for this engine.
Thanks,
Chuck "

Back