Logo

1972 Evinrude slipping out of gear

lois

"We have a 1972 Evinrude 100 h

"We have a 1972 Evinrude 100 hp motor. It worked great the last two years (this our 3rd summer having the boat/motor). This year when we tooked it out, we had to keep it at 1/4 throttle. When we tried to go above 1/4, it slips out of gear. Hubby put lower gear lube in it before we went on water, then it happened. Did he put in to much? Do we need lower gear unit rebuilt? Any ideas???? Thanks in advance for any help! Lois"

Try another prop.He did fill i

Try another prop.He did fill it from the bottom till oil came out the top and he used TYPE-C gearoil (premium blend ) right?

"He filled it from top hole do

"He filled it from top hole down is that wrong? Every time he tried to put oil in it, the oil kept coming back out. Yes he used premium blend. Thanks in advance. Lois"

"What do you have to do to fil

"What do you have to do to fill from the bottom hole...........stand on your head? I've never heard that before. Your crankcase has to have a vent for air buildup to escape.......otherwise it builds up pressure and goes nuclear!! I drained mine from the drain plug, bottom hole, then filled from the top hole, fill plug, until it ran back out. I haven't had any problems yet and I've put atleast 20 hours on it since. Maybe I'm wrong................"

you leave the top plug out to

you leave the top plug out to vent wile pumping oil in or sqwease the bottle or tube. when oil comes out the top hole put bottom plug in then top plug. electric shift is much more sencitive and you dont whant air bubbles. the cylanoids are around $200 each and a pain to replace

"I wasn't aware that they

"I wasn't aware that they had electronic shift on a 1972 100Hp......now lets talk about the slipping. My 73 65hp was slipping and it was do to the shifter cam on the side of the motor. It was loose and slipping. A good rule of thumb is to check all screws and bolts every year before you go out the first time. If you find something that is loose, make a note of it, and check it every time."

"(Hydro Electric Shift&#41

"(Hydro Electric Shift)
(J. Reeves)

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Preminum Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).
With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

84305.jpg
gearlube

"hi i have a question about an

"hi i have a question about an 1962 johnstone 4 cyl. 75 hp,this has been a problem sience i bought this moter. problem is. when i start the gas runs straight through the moter and out the bottem. i have another moter that is the very same the dist. is not working on this one. when i change the carbs to this engine it does the same i have had the carbs comptley rebuilti even changed thereid valves still the same problem does anybody have the answer to this >thanks hecbear<"

Back