Logo

Need to know fueloil mixture ratio

Q

Quentin Johnson

I have a 5 1/2 johnson seahor

I have a 5 1/2 johnson seahorse that was given to me. I have the original fuel tank as well. The model number is CD10 and the serial number is 1083079. I'm told the motor still runs but I haven't tried it yet. Can any one tell me what the proper ratio is and possibly the year of this motor? I believe it is a 1954 model and it is in good to excellent condition. I want to try to use it this spring on my 12' glassmagic boat and take my 5 year old son bass fishing. Thank you.

"Quentin..... Your motor is in

"Quentin..... Your motor is indeed a 1954 5.5hp Johnson.

The fuel/oil ratio is 24/1 (1qt of 50/1 TCW-III oil to 6gal gas). A octane rating of 87 is fine.

The lower unit requires what is called "HiVis" (80/90w) gearlube which is available at Wal*Mart, K-Mart etc, and of course at any dealership.

If a philips screw exists in the lower unit skeg (the bottom fin), do not remove it as that screw would be a long shoulder bolt which is a pivot point for a internal shift lever.

If the engine has been sitting for quite some time, the carburetor will no doubt be gummed, fouled, clogged. In which case, it will require removing, cleaning, and rebuilding with a complete carburetor kit (possibly available at NAPA, and of course a OMC dealership).

I'd strongly suggest that you give the engine a strong test and run out before exposing your son to that fishing experience.

The proper carburetor adjusting procedure is as follows:

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" Joe,
Thanks a lot for the i

" Joe,
Thanks a lot for the info! Is there a manual available for this motor? I'm a mechanic (17 years) in the Air Force. I believe in fixing it myself unless I don't have the tools on hand. Some of my other projects are a 1953 JD 40T and a 1978 Silverado. I seem to have a penchant for old things. Again thanks! "

" Thanks again. My dad and I a

" Thanks again. My dad and I are going to clean her up and fire her off tomorrow. I have another question for you. The fuel tank is an Evinrude Cruise a day Junior 4 gallon tank. It also has on the side...Mix 1/2 pint SAE #30 with each gallon of gas. Can you elaborate on this? The boat she is going to go on is a 1960 Glassmagic Nomad. It's rated for up to 12 HP according to the brochure I found on the net. Like the motor, all she needs is a little TLC.
Quentin "

" Hi Quentin,
The original

" Hi Quentin,
The original mixture of 16:1 was rated long before there was 2-cycle oil as we now know it. The newer oils are MUCH improved over what was available in 1954. That is how you are able to lean out the mixture a bit to 24:1 (1-quart TCW-3 rated oil to 6-gallons mid-grade gas.) Do not lean it out any more than that, as that motor needs a fair amount of oil to assist in lubricating and sealing the bronze sleeve bearings.
- Scott "

" Cool, thanks. I cleaned her

" Cool, thanks. I cleaned her up today, new plugs fresh oil/gas, lubed and greased her, cleaned and the points and fresh lower unit fluid. I let it run for about an hour with some STP fuel injector cleaner mixed in. She ran like a top. Have to put new orings in the fuel/air connection. I think I have a bad seal in the lower unit. I ended up with a of oil on top of the water and after draining the lower unit, there was water in the oil. I believe the seal on the vertical shaft is bad as I had a fair amount of nasty stuff dripping out of the weep hole above the prop. Also did a compression check on her. Both cylinders were 75 PSI (dry test). Not a bad deal for free. Will keep ya'll posted. Have to go to a six week school in Biloxi.
Quentin "

" I'm working on a Johnson

" I'm working on a Johnson 40 hp 1986 model and need to run it off of the boat but I need to know how to wire the VRO oiling plug for power. I have got oil mixed in the tank to assure that the thing even works so that I don't burn up the motor just testing it. It is the three wire model with a brown, black and a gray wire in the harness. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks "

Back