Logo

MERCRUISER 470 RELATED PROBLEMS

intrepid

"Wondering if anyone with a 47

"Wondering if anyone with a 470 has ever had this problem: The engine starts like a dream when cold, but once she is hot the starter has to crank over 20-30 times before the engine will fire up. I've replaced starters twice already this year. I have heard that the 470's like to eat starters but this is ridiculous. Of more concern is the hard starting when hot... gave the engine a burst of throttle to get the boat around into the slip in a heavy tide and then hit reverse, engine stalled and the boat slammed into the dock before the engine would catch. Anyone have any ideas about how to rectify the hard starting issue when the engine is hot?"

"Richard
Make sure your choke

"Richard
Make sure your choke is coming off all the way when the engine warms up, if it is staying partialy on it will give you issues.
Cheers
Peter C"

"A properly operating cooling

"A properly operating cooling system is the first thing that comes to mind. Thermostat working? Heat exchanger cleaned out; antifreeze coolant in good chemical condition? Impeller been changed within last two years? Belt tight on engine circulating pump? Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor in good condition? Fuel pump worn out or fiters dirty? Dirty flame arresor? A number of the aforementioned items out of tolerance can add up to the hard starting problem you are experiencing.

After a hard run, throttle back slowly and let the engine cool down for a few minutes."

"Aggravating, aren't they?

"Aggravating, aren't they? My 470 is also hard to crank when at normal temp. Even broke the starter shaft once. I relocated the battery to the port side to allow a shorter cable. Relocated the batt ground cable directly to one of the starter screws trying to reduce voltage drop. All connections wire-brushed shiney and tightly fastened. Tuned by a Merc Mech. New impeller, t-stat, runs cool. The sucker is still a beast to crank. When cold, it does spin and start readily.

I think they should have used a gear-reducer starter like Chrysler used on the 94 V-6 New Yorker I used to have. Wish I knew of one that would fit the 470. Good luck. JW in Dixie"

"I guess I got lucky. The prev

"I guess I got lucky. The previous owner of my boat solved alot of problems with my 470. He installed a NEW ARCO starter, used big FAT cable leads and used a big, high amp battery. I would say cover the basics and do everything Guy and Warren suggest. Also, if you are running a point ignition, check the wireing to the coil. When the engine is cranking, full voltage will be supplied from the starting soleniod, to the coil. Make sure this part of the wireing is working and the contacts and connections are clean.It should not take 20-30 cranks to start a warm engine. My engine may not crank fast, but it cranks strong and starts quick whether cold or hot. I have, as well as many others, have been in a situation when an engine quits and can't be restarted at a critical moment. I was on a drift while fishing and came up on a bouy and couldn't restart a hot engine. The bouy was half the size of my 18 foot boat! Here are a few links you might find helpful
Chris
http://www.arcomarine.com/
http://www.members.aol.com/cdrr61/470_wireing.jpg""

Back