Logo

83 260 HP Overheating Issue

sr_245

"Last summer, with a boat full

"Last summer, with a boat full of people, I experienced the temp slowly climbing when first starting out from the mooring. I watched it until it was close to the "red" and then backed off to an idle. The temp gauge immediately pinned so I shut it down. Couldn't get it started from that point and had to be towed.

Water was in almost all the cylinders....blown head gasket I figure. Engine was 7 years old, had 400 hours, and is raw water cooled (salt water). It had new risers, 2 year old mainfolds, new water pump on block (Sierra Brand), & I always do at least the impellor each year, housing if it's corroded at all.

So replaced the motor with a rebuilt true 260 HP from a reputable local machine shop, (new impellor in the drive). Started it and have very similar results in the driveway with water hooked up to it. Remove the thermostat, no problem, runs cool as can be. I noticed the water pump (new last year) weeping from below so I replaced it and put the thermostat back in......now it runs fine.

I notice when putting the new and old water pump next to each other that the castings are similar but not the same. Has anyone experienced bad water pumps? I'd like to believe I've found the problem before I put the boat in the water. I took apart the housing and the impellor is not loose on the shaft. When the bearing goes in the water pump can air get in the hole just as water can get out? This would allow the pump to cavitate, explaining what happened."

"Mike:

The weep hole is u

"Mike:

The weep hole is under gravitational and water pressure so it doesn't seem it would pull air into the system. Next time it goes out, get a GM OE pump; mine lasted 18 years.

What do your exhaust flappers look like? They could be stuck in the open position or broken in half like one boater recently found was contributing to his overheating problem.

THE BEST THING YOU COULD DO NOW for some cheap engine insurance; buy a fresh water cooling kit that includes the mans. and risers. Flush the raw part of the cooling system after each use or install one of the salt neutralizing systems.

http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/SANMC-305/MER8H/Fresh+Water+Cooling+Kit+Mercruiser +1970-80%27s+Early+Full"

Thanks for the reply.

I rep

Thanks for the reply.

I replaced one exhaust flapper because it was bad before the water pump was replaced. I ran it again tonight out of a garbage can and the temp was fine. My guess is I had junk water pump. I can't run a GM OE pump unless they make one in stainless so my only option is a Mercruiser OE pump. For now I'm staying with raw water cooled because the boat is up for sale.

need some insight just bought

need some insight just bought a 1984 mercruiser got it running changed impeller for water flow up to engine pump would be ok at low speed but at high throttle temp ran hot and motor stalled made a hissing sound and seemed like water was steeming in carborater ck dipstic and oil looked good no water could that still be a headgasket?

Yes it could still be a head g

Yes it could still be a head gasket. Pull the plugs and see if you have any water in the cylinders.

Back