Logo

Hard steering to right on io

T

Terry Davis

I recently bought a 1976 19&#3

I recently bought a 1976 19'Cobalt with a 302 ford-mercruiser i/o. I'm noticing hard steering to the right under power and inability to keep a straight line at slow speed. Any ideas?

"That' a model 888, right?

"That' a model 888, right?
My guess is that it is not equipped with power steering. It sounds like you need to adjust your trim tab; thats the small oblique shaped fin made of zinc that hangs down right above and behind your prop. It's job is to compensate for steering pull. To get more pull to the right, you need to loosen it (with an Allen wrench thru the hole just above) and turn it to the left. That sounds wrong, but it is correct. Turn the trim tab opposite to the direction you want the boat to steer.
Hope that helps.
Rod"

"I don't know how many tim

"I don't know how many times this comes up at my shop. New owners think something is wrong at low speed and want me to fix it. It's just part of boating. It's a live with. Rod, right on the mark about the tab!!"

"Could also be that the skeg o

"Could also be that the skeg or bottom of the stern drive was damaged as some point on rocks and it wasn't repaired correctly, as with personal experience. A simple way to check for straightness is by hanging a plumb bob - that is if your boat is sitting on your trailer relatively straight..."

Back