Logo

New owner Volvo AQ171A Question

kurt_g

"We're the new owners of a

"We're the new owners of a well kept but older 19' bowrider with a Volvo AQ171A and 290 outdrive. The boat and engine reportedly have very few hours of use (~40-50) and only in freshwater.

I bought this unit with some hesitation, but it seemed at the time like a decent buy for us for the initial money (not much, but I know the hole in the water saying).

I just ordered the Volvo manual from this site, but have seen some caution about changing the timing belt and tensioner give the age, not use of this boat. It's been awhile since I had my hands on an engine, what's the reason for swapping out the tensioner when changing the belt> Why would it wear as fast as teh belt? I notice the tensioner is ~$200 and the belt ~$100?

An engine mechanic had given it the once over (new plugs, tuned, etc) and we changed out the freshwater pump prior to purchase. I may have to put a kit on the raw water pump.

Any other cautionary measures before we get started? I'm glad I found this site.

Thanks-"

"Kurt, replacing the belt tens

"Kurt, replacing the belt tensioner is cheap insurance. It has inside a ball bearing that, if it fails, will likely cause quite a bit of damage. Keep in mind that the AQ171 is an interference DOHC engine and the valves will hit the top of the piston if the timing belt fails.

Regarding the belt tensioner price, you may want to look for an automotive equivalent, which is much cheaper and exactly the same product. Check this link:

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?ye ar=1985&make=VO&model=760-T-002&category=All&part=Timing%20Belt%20Tensioner&dp=f alse

The best thing you can do if you intend to conduct your own repairs is to get hold of a copy of the Seloc and Clymer manuals (get at least the Seloc if you are on a tight budget). It will save you money and lots of headaches."

"Thanks- Was just wondering ab

"Thanks- Was just wondering about the low hours versus the aged rubber. I understand your point now with the tensioner.

I ordered the volvo manual from this site this morning:
http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/volvo/volvo_penta_sterndrive_gas.html

Are the others better? I'm not sure about my own repairs yet, but I have repair manuals for the cars and find them helpful.

I've been away from working on boats and engines so long, I'm starting to think I should have gone with a canoe. Once the inlaws move out, I'll have more money to plunk in our hole in the water
"

"Kurt, I cannot tell you, as t

"Kurt, I cannot tell you, as the only manuals I have used for Volvo repairs have been Seloc and Clymer, and I never felt the need for another one (so far). The manuals are good not just for repairs, but also for maintenance and to help you to understand your boat's power plant. I always keep my manuals onboard when using my boat, as I never know when I will need them."

Back