Logo

30gs volvo problems

curt552003

"I bought this boat two years

"I bought this boat two years ago being a first time boat owner and everything was fine till the back two cylinders over heated with no sign in the temp gauge. I am military and didn’t have the time to work on it myself so I brought it to a marine Mechanic in town. They rebuilt the motor from the ground up. Least everything except a new head. I now have 24 hours on it and I Supposedly got hydro lock last time I had it out. The guy that rebuilt my motor will no longer take responsibility for the motor, so I am fixing it myself. What can cause hydro lock? I believe it has to do with the flapper valve in the exhaust. Mine was wedged in there when I took it apart last. Is it possible to drill a new set of wholes above the existing wholes being the old whole is now oval shaped, and install a new flapper valve?
I am also having problems with the temperature gauge jumping to high temperatures and rapidly back down. Any ideas"

"My first question would be: W

"My first question would be: Why did it overheat the first time?
Repairing without finding the reason for the breakdown is only 1/3 of the job! You should start by claiming compensation from the workshop that did the first job!
However I think You should have a closer look at the manifold and check for leaks. The overheating of the rear cyls might be from water entering through the exhaust either by a defective 'flapper' or caused by a leaking manifold.
Why did Your flapper valve fail in the first place, was it burnt due to lack of cooling?
Sorry, but at the moment it ismore questions than answers, but I do not want to lead You into repairs and costs until the source of the problems have been established."

"The reason I was told that mo

"The reason I was told that motor over heated in the first place is that a BRASS impeller broke, that push water to the rear of the manifold for cooling. I didn’t know much about marine motors at the time and believed that to be the case. I still do not know if there is any other impeller other than the main water pump rubber impeller. The manifold is new I just had that replaced this last fall and was pressure check.
I believe the flapper was improperly installed when they put the motor back together. But of coarse that shop says it was put together properly, I can attach a picture later tonight to show you the grove it put into my exhaust pipe. It looks like a oval whole which locked up the valve in the exhaust. i hope that helps some more. thanks allot"

Might be interesting to see a

Might be interesting to see a partlist of what they changed? I hope You got a specified invoice?

"I got allot of invoices from

"I got allot of invoices from them a grand total of around 4 thousand dollars worth, I am more than happy to post them on here to get any help I can about this motor. I do remember the marine mechanic telling me that there are all problems with this motor and it is from the factory and not his work. He claimed also that water would not release pressure fast enough through out the engine causing hoses to brake and so on and that was a factory flaw! I also had the water pump hose explode once too if I did not all ready mention that."

"I do not quite like the idea

"I do not quite like the idea of public posting at the moment of the documents, but You may mail them to me.
You find my address in the profile.
No promises, but it might giv an idea about the 'history'."

"Where is the thermostat at on

"Where is the thermostat at on this motor, all I could find was solid bolt like object that had a wire on it mounted on the front of the head where the water travels through after the water pump?? is that right?"

"Not to sure about your motor

"Not to sure about your motor i just assumed they all had thermostats,The reason i mentioned it is because my one clapped out & before it happened my temp gauge was bouncing up & down .I have a different engine so i will stand down on this one.Hope you get the answers you need good luck."

"Odd description, but that is

"Odd description, but that is the thermostat housing. Be sure You have the gaskets before dismantling!!"

"What gaskets are you talking

"What gaskets are you talking about?? for the thermostat? because when i removed it their was nothing their. I will be buying a new thermostat though. I have all the other gaskets for the head,manifold and extra..."

"You never mentined the engine

"You never mentined the engine year, but I suspect it may look like the below pic.
The O-ring '1' is needed to keep the thermostat in place.
61239.gif
"

"Then it is just to get the th

"Then it is just to get the thermostat back, be sure to put it with the went hole 'up' to avoid airpockets. Without the thermostat You do not get proper circulation in the block due to lack of back pressure for the cirkulation pump."

Just wondering where you found

Just wondering where you found that diagram above? Any good sights that will help with a part brake down of this motor so i can find the right part numbers?

"i am going to be putting on t

"i am going to be putting on the oil pan gasket this weekend, and i was wondering if it is a ok idea to use the old gasket? The gasket is in great shape with no scuffs or anything. The marine parts place here said to use a little gasket maker and it would be fine. but i am not as trusting to them as i am to this sight after what happend in my last repair. thanks"

"If You have the rubber type o

"If You have the rubber type oil pan gaskets, no deformation and/or cuts, it may be reused. I used to coat them with OMC Sealing compound. But do NOT overtorque!"

"Can you give me any tips on h

"Can you give me any tips on how to adjust the rocker arms, I have hydrolick lifters, the book i am using does not make sense to me. I think I have read it to many times and have over looked somthing."

Back