Logo

Buying older Crusader marine engines

G

gordonh

"I am looking at two Mainship

"I am looking at two Mainship 35 Mediterranean cruisers, 1988 and 1989 models, both powered by twin Crusader 454 marine engines. The 1988 boat shows 1100 hours on the engines; the 1989 boat shows 800 hours. Both boats are well maintained overall, and both owners claim the Crusaders run beautifully. Neither owner claims any rebuilds or problems.

From what I've read, I'm sold on the Crusaders, but they are approaching 20 years in age and, some say, nearing the end of their expected service lives (even assuming good maintenance.)

I'm looking for experienced opinions on these engines, original owner manuals for 1988-89, and any other advice that may be offered.

Thanks,
Gordon"

"The physical age of the 454 e

"The physical age of the 454 engine is not an issue as long as it is maintained. The low hours are the indicator of usefull life. The 454 is still a widly used engine for which parts are easily found. As for the manuals they can be found on www.crusaderengines.com.
Good luck"

Can someone tell me where to g

Can someone tell me where to get a parts manual in pdf for a 1995 454xli serial number 099643?

I can't find it on their web site

Have twin 1986 454 crusaders o

Have twin 1986 454 crusaders on a 1976 searay. Both engine have been re built withabout 500 hours on them and new exhaust manfiolds and risers. problem I'm haveing steam coming from exhaust on both engines. Operating temp is normal and no loss of coolant. Do I have a problem?
Ken

Is it worth while to upgrade m

Is it worth while to upgrade my 1985 CH220's to electronic ignition? Is this a difficult job? What parts would I need from this site to make the conversion?

Thanks

Paul

"I am looking at a 1980 Unifli

"I am looking at a 1980 Uniflite with twin Crusader 454's. They are showing about 1600 hours, apparently with being rebuilt. Any idea how long I might expect them to run before a re-build or replace is necessary? Any idea the cost of a re-build?
Thanks"

"Any time you look at buying a

"Any time you look at buying a used boat, get a complete engine survey done. Money well spent! Replacing engines in a marine application is big bucks!"

I recently purchased a 2000 Si

I recently purchased a 2000 Silverton 322 Motoryacht with fuel injected twin Crusader 5.7's. The injectors have failed on the port engine and I was told by the certified Crusader dealer working on the problem that Crusader no longer sells replacement injectors for this engine and the entire throttle body must be replaced. The dealer has replaced three sets of after-market injectors over the past four weeks that have also failed. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Back