Logo

1997 Johnson 115 battery charging problem

fatboy

" I have a 1997 Johnson 115 hp

" I have a 1997 Johnson 115 hp 4 cyl outboard 2 stroke. I have checked all connections/fuses, guages etc., bought a new battery, but my amp gauge reads 0. The eng doesn't charge my start battery. What else can/should I check?? "

"Fatboy.... If at any time you

"Fatboy.... If at any time you or someone has hooked up the battery backwards, or connected a battery charger backwards, that would destroy the rectifier. The rectifier converts AC voltage (which is the output from the stator) to DC voltage.

What type rectifier do you have? Is it a water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier assy that's on top of the block in back of the flywheel, or a small one that is located on the right (startboard) side of the engine near a terminal block? (I don't have the 1997 parts book here at the moment)

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" I honestly don't know wh

" I honestly don't know what they even look like, I'm going to pull the engine cover back off and take a look tonite. Is this rectifier possibly under the flywheel? I'm going to purchase a shop service manual from marine engine ASAP. "

"Fatboy; are you using an amme

"Fatboy; are you using an ammeter or a voltmeter?
ammeters are wired in series voltmeters are wired in paralell.90*115hp have small alternators
whereas 60*115hp have a 20amp output.you are NOT
using WINGNUTS on the battery are you?
Zeke Zeke's Marine Service;Jupiter,Fla.
561-746-1508 or [email protected]"

I've been using a volt me

I've been using a volt meter and I believe I have the 60* 115 the better of the two and my boat battery cables are wired for wing nuts not bolts

Back