Logo

1960 Evinrude 40hp long to short shaft

zuidema

" I have a 1960 Evinrude 40hp

" I have a 1960 Evinrude 40hp long shaft motor that I would like to convert to a short shaft. Do I have to get the short drive shaft, water tube, and shift rod from another 40hp, or can I get the parts I need out of other models? "

"Zuidema.... Yes, you will nee

"Zuidema.... Yes, you will need a short driveshaft, and two short water tubes. If you have a long (approx 5") brass shift connector, you can replace it with a shorter brass shift connector.

The alternative, if you do not have the long brass shift connector, is to either replace the lower shift rod (necessary to dismantle the lower unit) or to cut it "exactly" five inches (5"), and file the top portion to resemble the original.

I may have the parts you need in my remaining stock and will discount them, but I can not check now as the alarm is set. I will check in the morning. Contact me via my e-mail address if you're interested. ([email protected])

Joe
"

I'm new to the boat owner

I'm new to the boat owner thing! We just picked up an 85 horse Evinrude on a boat the trim is shot and I'm trying to find parts or a replacement unit.I don't know the year but the Model No. is 85393Mand the serial No. isJ02158 perhaps this is enough information to point us in the right direction.

Thank You Jim Soll

"Jim,

You should have start

"Jim,

You should have started a "new conversation" by scrolling to the bottom of the outboard category and clicking on the "start new conversation" button.

Yours is a 1973 85HP Evinrude. There are lots of companies that sell parts. You can check in the outboard parts section of our directory.

We sell service and parts manuals for that motor if you need them.

Regards,
Andrew
MarineEngine.com"

Back