Logo

1996 merc 60 hp power trim acting funny

Derby

I have an issue with power trim. It goes down just fine. it only goes up when I immediately go from down to up. While going down, if I stop, it wont go up again until I go down, then flick the switch to up. If it goes down all the way, I'm kinda screwed until I release the pressure with the screw on the side, and manually lift the motor. Then tighten the screw again. When it has paused, and won't go up, I do hear the relay click. I'm hoping its a relay. If it is a relay, the only numbers on them are (Siemens) VF4A-35F11-Z07 and VF4-35F11-Z07 I cant seem to find them or the OEM relays Serial number on motor is 0G151006. Please Help!

Swap the relays and see if the problem reverses. Any five post relay should work it just has the mounting tab on the relay. Just look at the internal wiring on the side of the relay needs to be the same. I believe the resistor it there in case of voltage spikes due to the nature of outboard charging systems.

Last edited:
I took your advice, but before I did, I functioned tested it again and got the same results I had yesterday. After switching the relays, hoping the problem would reverse, It seemed to be working perfectly, "for now" I am a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" But now that I've reached 50 yrs. "sometimes" I can just see it coming. I see the next time my trim fails to raise, I'll be 10 miles from the dock, using my trolling motor, and getting my lower unit pinned between a couple of submerged logs. I'm going to order a couple of new relays for my tool box. Any thoughts?

I think the switch might be a possibility. I see a tiny pin in the button on my controller that looks like it needs to be hammered out to remove it. I'm concerned I'll break it if I try. Is that even how I would go about replacing the switch. I realize this violates the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it rule. I'm just "looking down the road". (or in my geographic location "the bayou") Any thoughts?

Could be just a dirty spade connector it is part of preventive maint to clean all connectors with electrical cleaner and after dry put a dob of dielectric grease to protect from moisture. A couple spare relays is not a bad idea either or at least one.

Back