Logo

Pre alpha to alpha shift issues

Rick Baxter

Ok here's what I got 91 Bayliner with with 3 liter Mercruiser. Was shifting fine until I did a bellows and gimbal bearing replacements get it all back in and the shift cable of hanging up and making the motor stall. All good took it in and the shop points out I've got an pre alpha drive and they want to throw a gen 2 on it for about 2k. Seeing as I've got 3 k in the boat kinda wanna stay away. So I know I can mod the shift linkages to make my pre alpha work I'm assuming here the linkages are for a gen 1 which is what the boat should have started with or maybe a gen 2 is the linkages were changed when the new motor was put in. So does anyone know for have the links to the mods to make the pre alpha work with the 1 & or 2s. I know it's possible because I ran the boat before I did the bellows and it worked just fine.

There is no difference in pre alpha gen I and alpha Gen I or Gen II.
same part number for all
So that is Bull Sh!T

If you have a 91 the you have either a alpha 1 Gen I or Gen II '91 was the yeart they released the Gen II.

The difference is where the two half's (lower and upper) join together. The Gen II has 4 visible bolts and nuts 2 on each side. The Gen I does not. That simple.

The shift cable is the same for both
There is another thread right before/after this one with a complete explanation on how to adjust shift cable

Also if you did not have the drive in forward gear and the shift control in forward also that is an issue and are you sure you got the bell crank shift arm into the shift cable end correctly in the gimbal housing?.

Last edited:
It's in fwd when taken apart and put back, I got it at another shop. Did actually talk with the tech and directly from him he wanted to sell me a gen 2 he had to out in the boat but he wanted my mr and he was gonna change the shaft and use it on a 3 liter which is what I have. So basically he's trying to sell me something that's good but not good enough for for him to use on his stuff and then use mine with a different shaft on the same motor I have. Yeah I ran like hell from that place, but just as a point of interest does anyone know if the drive shaft on a mr from an line 6 is shorter or what than an alpha 1 or 2 on a 3 liter?

The inline 6 does use the short driveshaft.
So the question still stands, do you have the Alpha or the Alpha Gen II drive

It's in fwd when taken apart and put back, I got it at another shop. Did actually talk with the tech and directly from him he wanted to sell me a gen 2 he had to out in the boat but he wanted my mr and he was gonna change the shaft and use it on a 3 liter which is what I have. So basically he's trying to sell me something that's good but not good enough for for him to use on his stuff and then use mine with a different shaft on the same motor I have. Yeah I ran like hell from that place, but just as a point of interest does anyone know if the drive shaft on a mr from an line 6 is shorter or what than an alpha 1 or 2 on a 3 liter?

OK YOU NEED TO START OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. you have a 1991 boat
2. 3,0 liter.

What and where did the out drive come from? Why did you replace the drive or why is it not the original?

Have you been using the boat prior to f^cking it up? or did you replace the bellows and what ever else before you used it?

You need to kind of start over and give a COMPLETE detailed explanation as to what is what and why.

You are looking for answers to questions that as it appears no one has the facts about your set up so NO answers can be given correctly.

Just so you know,

the inline six ended in 1981, the R MR and ALPHA started in 1983. So if you have a drive from a inline six cylinder then it is pre R drive most likely an I drive or there abouts....If it is a pre R get rid of it and get the proper drive for that boat. They are all over Craigslist for under $800....all day every day.

The MR is exactly the same as a alpha for all needed purposes. Only minor differences not related to use or performance.

If you have a serial number for the drive that would make life behind these keyboards a bit easier!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok my bad it's a 1991 Bayliner Capri 1850 from the factory it should have a 3 liter GM 4 cylinder mated to an alpha one gen one all Mercruiser. I got it in February and was told the motor had been replaced but drive was original. I ran it shifted fine but the u shaft bellows and gimbal bearing were shot. So I replaced it and all the bellows but not the shift cable. When I got it all back together the shift interpreter was catching in rev only or fwd only if I played with it never could get it right. So brought it in bc I was just done messing with it. Now according to the shop the drive I have is a pre alpha for an inline 6 and can't be mated up or made to work. I have it at another shop now so can't get the sn.

Unless they removed the gearset and counted the teeth, they cant just say that. The inline 6 uses 1.65-1 gear ratio and
yours uses the 1.98-1 ratio. This may be compensated for with a prop change.

If your drive, at least the upper is from an inline six cylinder vintage, the top cap will have a "eye" formed into it. This was designed in for the WIMPS of old to use a hoist to lift the drive.

Now we muscle the drives by hand............better beer I guess............

If it is flat then most likely it is what it should be or at least an MR/Alpha 1

do a google search (images) for I, R, ANd Alpha drives and see the visual differences....

Last edited:
Back