Logo

84 115 cant get it to fire up

comet424

Regular Contributor
so i finally got a chance to put my rebuilt engine in a box to test and break in the engine

but she wont fire she sputs my friend figured its flooded i dont know didnt know you could flood these engines??

i have tried carb cleaner in the intake also i did a water bottle with mixed gas in it and sprayed in the intake. didnt help

before i started engine with gas i had tested each coil to make sure it sparked a spark plug and it did..

i also opened up the gap of the spark plug now to little bigger then finger nail from .030 that didnt help

here is a video i took.. i have tried choking and high idle but she doesnt wanna goo.. what would be wrong??

you can hear my car running as i been boosting it

but you will see smoke from the engine so you see it sparks.. and the water splashes those are the times it sparks but still wont run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTzA2WB3zGg&feature=youtu.be

i going to try tommorow again but any advice be good

Ill double check but I had the orange with blue stripe on the top. Thats whats shown in my book. If you have better book to double check be good

so i re checked.. the blue wires seem to be on the top cylinders... well the one isnt colored its electrical tapped up so someone before me must modified..

but i got it running... but she wont run right... its shaking and running high idle about 1500 rpms wont run lower so is that a sparking problem or what would this be its too sunny now for me to check a spark unless i try to get a helper but here is video of it basiclly running high idle
maybe this help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hToaLsBKgDA&feature=youtu.be

i swapped out the one coil pack set as i had back up and had a friend look at the sparks as i turned over

they all now good the one wasnt really sparking... so i swapped it and 4 have good spark yet they still giving me the same issue not running right

what else could be wrong?

also with the swapped out coils.. i tried spraying fuel in the carbs to accelerate engine with a water spray bottle and still didnt increase engine didnt do anything...

what else could i look for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNfq0Oq2_c&feature=youtu.be

here you can see it running rough still i did play with it the high idle now i thinking maybe plug carb??

if you have high idle all the way up she bog idles but thats only way to get it started.. doesnt wanna start down at bottom idle arm

but if i get it the idle arm down but not full down she idles better... but at 1000rpms not sure if thats good for idling to break in the engine as i trying to break in the engine.

also i noticed if i spray in the 2 carbs with carb cleaner if standing in the boat facing the carbs... Top Left hole it will speed up engine if i spray carb cleaner in.. Top Right hole does nothing... Bottom Right does nothing Bottom Left Hole kills the engine

does that tell you guys anything? and shouldit it increase the engine on all 4 carb holes

Swap the right side spark plug leads from one plug to the other. Swap em on the right side only #1 and #3.
See what happens.

If it backfires, you had them right originally. If it runs good you have the orange wires backwards for the right side.
Either swap the coils to the correct position, or swap the orange wires to the proper coil. Which ever way you want to do it.

Of course, swap the plug wires back when you have finished adjusting the orange primaries or the coil positions.

ok ill re try that later... i did have them reversed i guess on the right side drivers side in the boat side coil packs and thats where it didnt run and when i switched it you heard it running funny but ill try the other side too
ill let you guys know thankjs

Ah, I see, another thread where all the info is not given. Now, I really don't know where you are.

Don't even think about break in until you have it running right.

Ah, I see, another thread where all the info is not given. Now, I really don't know where you are.

Don't even think about break in until you have it running right.

Hi what you mean you dont know where I at I finished rebuilding the engine from ground up a month ago. Yesterday was first time I got chqnce to start breaking in the engine and the videos I took was of yesterday and today

And where I said I spray the carb cleaner on as the engine is running I stated
Opening one increased rpms. Opening two nothing. Opening three killed engine. Opening four did nothing

And then I asked if that the carbs be plugged. As a rebuild kit doeant onclude a carb kit

And I swapped a set of coils on the one side. As it wasnt giving a good spark. But now all fours spark well

Last video I showed the carb settings for the throttle showing to see if its all set right. As you seen after how it runs

As if you run the high idle lever all way up it runs muddled. But if I.lower the lever to.just above the normal lever pos. It runs basiclly smooth.

Id take another video showong it but its severe thunderstorms here.

Hope this better explanation

OK....

All I can suggest at this time is to index your flywheel, and using a timing light,
check all four cylinders for spark happening at or near TDC for each cylinder.
Static timing, engine not running.

This will verify whether you have the coils, primaries to the coils, and plug wires on the right plugs.

Havent done a timing light in years have to pick one up. Do I mark fly wheel with a white marker. And u clamp the sparkplug wire on each right. As I know the right side standing at the back is blue line coil on top other is bottpm

Oh and how does the timing light know if the coil is in the right pos top or bottom

And what about static timing. Can you do that on this engine o guessing no

Ill try tommorow or tuesday. Supposed to rain till tuesday

Thanks for the help so.far I appreciate it

hi so i not able to get a timing light today canadian tire closed for holiday..

i did make 3 videos well a fourth one fourth one is uploading i finally got it to idle but at around 1000 rpms but i think its rough you guys would know what it should sound like

but these 3 videos show me raising and lowering the high idle lever and showing how its not running right it runs better slightly up
https://youtu.be/nZbl6sSjDO4
https://youtu.be/EEEL6DGyy-E
https://youtu.be/SY3NQ6uTtDQ

so hope this somewhat helps if i still need timing light ill need to wait till tommorow or next day...
waiting for next video to upload

here you can see in this video i idling at about 1000 rpms it was running for 10-15 min then shut off

what i did was put fuel injector cleaner in the fuel filter and oumped it

but does it sound like in the previous videos its running on all 4 cylinders

i didnt wanna try pulling a spark plug off to make sure its firing as i didnt wanna get shocked as i have been on a snowmobile but on cars they extra long boots so you can pull them off while engine running

but here is video is it running right for idling or so as i cant get no timing light today

http://youtu.be/YdaRj9cN-10

i find the Left side block Cold and the Right Side block where the pee stream is that is warm..

but i put the thermostates back in right as they both working... so what be wrong there as im sure its supposed to be hot out the pee stream and the cylinders should be warm or hot right/

Are you saying you rebuilt this engine and you did nothing to make sure the carburetors are very clean !!!------Orange wires on the coils are on correct cylinder ?????-----What are the color stripes on the 2 top cylinders ?

Last edited:
???---So you did not take these carburetors apart for cleaning ???----Are you aware that you can do serious damage to this motor with plugged high speed jets ?-----No fuel also means no oil!

???-----Run and find another repair shop .-----There are lots around in southern Ontario.--------The carburetor kits are very common and fit many years.-------Ignore someone who says the motor is " too old "

ok ill look around for another marina... no didnt know about the jets i figured it runs fine at certain idle speed in video but i wont touch it anymore till i get a carb kits well hopefully i didnt do any damage since it couldnt idle rev more then 2000 rpms so i wont be working on it till i get carb kit from whereever..

thanks for the help

In your last video the motor is running , yes.-------Nice paint work , but it sounds awfull to me !!!-Sorry , that is how I see and hear it.

In your last video the motor is running , yes.-------Nice paint work , but it sounds awfull to me !!!-Sorry , that is how I see and hear it.

thanks

and no i dont mind criticisim etc.. i wasnt sure if its running right or not... does it sound like its running on all 4 cylinders or running on 3

i did compression test just now all 4 cylinders have 110psi so thats good for now...

ill look around tommorow for a marina to get me kit.. since today is a holiday ):

thank you for your input i appreciate it

alright i wasnt able to find a timing gun today but i was able to get a carb kits i found a place... i cleaned them real good with compressed air and did the carbs.. it didnt help still ran same

so i experimented... i unhooked the 1 power pack feeding the coils.. and one said ran the Right side thats where i had it reversed earlier...
then i unpluged it and had the Left Side plugged in and it wouldnt run... But if i Made The Orange/Blue Coil run on the Bottom cylinder not the Top one like its supposed to it runs... sooo i put both of them on then she ran much better and it does miss fire a bit....

what else could be wrong ill try to get a timing gun this week.... also since the video i tightened up the shifter cable for the throttle so it pushed the throttle right down as there was a 1/4" gap so she idled up faster... but here is the videos

i also checked the newer power pack i got off a 79 engine and its the same number as my old power pack...

so maybe you guys have idea i still going to try to get a timing light this week... and whats the procedure when i was at the machine shop they told me 90/30 something about the first being 90 degrees. then the next mark be 30 degress from that... and each cylinder should be like 22. degrees he didnt explain it well so i not 100% sure... also when i took the carbs in for inspection they mixed up the bottom halves they look the same except the way the fuel line inlet goes so i put the Straight one for the bottom and the one thats off set for the top carb... they also said even though they bored my cylinders i dont need bigger jets

either way here the videos least it reves faster too but i didnt rev it more then 2 seconds as it still hickups but i wonder why Blue is running on the bottom cylinder

video is in 2 parts only because when i jumped out of boat the drop detection on my camera for my hard drive kicked it and shut off.

https://youtu.be/MA-tCUYzRxk
https://youtu.be/6bbQy6CmNcc

hi i was able to find my old power pack orginal that was on this engine for the one side... i put it on and re put the plug wires blue for top orange for bottom and she runs.. so i guessing who ever soldered the Blue/orange wire the power pack soldered it to the bottom cylinder and not for the top cylinder..

it still kicking back when it first was warming up it backfire i guess and stop the engine.. but once it was warmed up youll see in the video she just backfires you hear

i guessing thats timing

since my couple local ctire's dont have the timing light a friend said i can use theres on the weekend if hes around... but from the video would you said thats timing issue now? as i have new carb kits also installed now

https://youtu.be/1Wap_Hrz-eQ

i guess i flooded it letting it idle some with it miss firing figured it just fix it self

i guess its out of time.. i pulled the spark plugs 3 out of 4 are black and the 4th isnt dirty at all

so i guessing number 2 cylinder is out of time on the left side
here is video

https://youtu.be/-JekD2008Ew

i left the spark plugs out now so the gas can evaporate

Back