MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

Click for Volvo Penta parts and manuals!

Default Aq131a and old Gas

OK , so the old AQ131a will be fired up in early May once i convert the ignition to the affordable Accuspark set-up as soon as it arrives. The next question which i recently thought of due to a lawn mower having bad/old gas in it, will the old gas inside the boat be any good? The gas i would assume is 3 years old at the least. I would hate to waste it or trouble myself trying to remove it if i don't have to. Is there an additive or conditioner like an octane boost i could use to give the gas a little zep or should i just toss it? Any thoughts? i want to make sure i do the right thing after waiting so long to get her running.

Default Re: Aq131a and old Gas

Get it out now.
    You'll be lucky if the gas lines aren't clogged shut.
    Check with local township as to disposing properly.

I agree get rid of that old gas it will only cause major issues...your local county hazaradous material center will take it.

Will seafoam remove any kind of tarnish or carbon build up that the old gas would of caused? would seafoam be a good idea anyways since it is an older motor? if so, how do i do it?

[URL]http://www.grandmaraismichigan.com/Recreation/fisherman.gif[/URL]

so... i will blow some seafoam through the system it looks like. Does it foul the plugs? i will probably replace after anyways... just curious.

I would put the old fuel in my 1983 ford ranger and use it up that way but yea you dont want to run your boat with old fuel if it was a year old your still taking a chance. Drain the tank and add 4 ozs of acetone with 10 gallons of good fuel to dizzolve the varnish in the tank and burn that up. Your probably gonna need to rebuild the carb/s but start with the tank and work your way to the carb/s. Pull the fuel level sensor and pickup tube out and clean the strainer if necessary that will make it easy to siphon/pump the tank out. New fuel lines never hurt either. My rotortiller wouldnt run this spring without half choke I put a couple tablespoons of acetone in a fresh tank it now runs like new starts first pull every time. Do not use acetone with a clear rubber primer on a small carb tho it will not hurt fuel lines either. Acetone is a great injector cleaner also do not use more than 4ozs for every ten gallons of gas pretty powerful stuff.

how would i know if the carbs need rebuilding , if after all that is done she runs fine. With old gas in it last year she ran fine...she didnt run for long due to the cooling situation. how much would a carb rebuild cost that is something i couldnt do. what would be an indication of a needed rebuild? cutting out, spitting... rough idle...... she does idle fine ( or last year she did)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhROBCxyrcs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lTt9GvuRcg

Start it and then we can diagnose any problem, your symptoms can be any or all of the above and then some. You dont need to fix it if it aint broke.

kimcrwbr1......... i agree, and that was the thought process ..... besides, financially it is easier step by step... in the morning i am ordering the accuspark ignition conversion kit so i can get rid of the points..... then ill drain the gas in the meantime (through the sending unit ?).... gets some fresh gas....... what good spark plugs do you guys recommend for these volvo 4 cyl?

What is the best & most affordable fluid extractor? i know i saw somebody posted about this before. i Want to drain the gas tank before my electronic ignition comes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	4451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	4452

The conversion kit is in, time to get to work!!