Logo

HELP with Espar heaters

Kevin I sent you my email for you to send me a picture of the component, as it does not sound right for a d3l. The relays only have four pins and there is no pulse generator. For a d3l

By they way I have just started my own company. Avalon Bay Marine in Vancouver. I am no longer with Rotonda Industries, but I still do all their Espar service.

Thanks Brian. I sent you some pictures. This unit was installed in an enclosure with a small fuel tank so it could be taken on and off a boat. The folks I acquired it from are scientists and engineers, so maybe it was "re-engineered" for some reason.... Jeez, i hope not. I hope the pictures will answer some questions.
Thanks again,
Kevin

Not engineers! they can't leave anything alone! That explains it.

Kevin, I have never seen that unit, it is definitely not Espar’s part, but I think it is probably meant to fool the software into thinking it is cold, so the heater will run on high only when the thermostat is demanding heat. That version of the D3l is meant to run on two heat levels, but the low heat level can cause carboning. So some were modified to use an on/off thermostat instead of a variable resistance thermostat. Usually that furnace would have 7 wires going to the thermostat, different guts than yours. Your thermostat is wired with a red wire on term. # 1, brown(ground) on # 4, and yellow on # 2. These are the Espar original colours at the white thermostat plug. Do the grey, grey w/red stripe, and brown wires go into that relay/module I cannot see the colours.Those are the colours we put resistors on to make the unit run on high. That would confirm what that module is doing. I would not mind a picture of the whole harness layout to see where this thing has been inserted in the harness in general.

Hi Brian,
I found some info on this site. They have part numbers and diagrams for a lot of models, including my 251738 unit. Check out this site:
http://www.espar.com/www/espar.com/tech_manuals/ARCHIVE models/Air heaters/D3L/
There's something called Additional Full/Half Switch, which seems to have 6 connections. The word Additional also makes me wonder if it's an add-on relay that could be taken out of the loop....
Go here: http://www.espar.com/www/espar.com/tech_manuals/ARCHIVE models/Air heaters/D3L/D3L TS EN and FR.pdf
and then to page 28, section E. See what I mean? If I can rewire this thing to make it work I'd be extremely happy. When I get home today I'll send a photo of the harness and plug assemblies. I'll also check out the wiring on the controller.
Thanks Brian, and have a great day!
Kevin

Hi Kevin. that diagram does not refer to your 1738 model. It refers to the old style that used the three wire thermostat. Yours was made to use the 7 wire thermostat. That relay probably has resistors inside. We do a mod on all harnesses that have a multi speed like the 1738 I have attached the schematic showing where to solder the resistors and the values. They are 1/4 watt tiny resistors about 3/8" long and 1/8" wide in the body. They are soldered onto the brown/wh, the grey and the grey/red wires. I will look for another way which is a rotary dial thermostat that roton used to insert in the harness like the relay? thing you have. It is a truck controller, but I did not see it in the schematics. But the resitors will work.

Brian, hopefully you still monitor this thread. I have a D3L version 251738. The unit starts up and shortly starts to smoke very badly and then the glow plug shuts off at 90 secs. I have cleaned the atomizer but this has had no effect. I have also confirmed there is no blockage on the air inlet or exhaust. I checked the volume of fuel supplied in those 90 secs and it is delivering 11 ml which seems to be high compared to the manual. Also it sounds like the fan runs faster after the glow plug is shut down and I am confused what the fan speed should be on startup vs shutdown.
I am in Vancouver and am open to having you check the unit out.
thanks, Bruce

Hello Bruce. I believe it is around 7.5ml for60 seconds at 12.5 odd volts, so your fuel is ok. Did you clean the holes out on the back saide of the atomizer? And what did the heat exchanger liner look like? it is the wire mesh that the atomizer sprays fuel onto. If the white paste that is impregnated into the mesh is degraded then it will have a hard time starting as well. If it has the right amount of fuel, and the glow plug is working, the atomizer holes are clean and the liner is good then it should start. It should attain a flame(jet sound out of exhaust) at around 50-60 seconds after starting. If you get this sound, but it the glow plug keeps going and then it goes into cool down, then the flame sensor may be gone. It thinks it has not attained a flame so it shuts down after the safety starting time has expired.

If you do not get the jet sound from the exhaust and lots of smoke then it must be a problem with the atomizer or liner. The liners are still available. Also are you sure the little red o-ring that goes between the blower and heat exchanger went back in around the air channel orifice that it seals?

Oh, the glow plugs on the D3l generally work or don't work, no halfway in between. The only exception is if there is a weak, or thin part in the element which causes only that part of high resistance to heat up. It may be worth starting the heater with the glow plug hanging outside by it's wires and look at it glow.It must glow all over. Make sure you put a rag over the glow plug hole so fuel does not spray out. let me know. You could bring it into me or I could come out to the boat. But call first if you want to bring it in as you need to bring in all the parts including the control module and relay(s). I just want o make sure I get all the bits for a bench test. If you do bring it in you can watch while I work on it if you want to.

Hello Bruce. I believe it is around 7.5ml for60 seconds at 12.5 odd volts, so your fuel is ok. Did you clean the holes out on the back saide of the atomizer? And what did the heat exchanger liner look like? it is the wire mesh that the atomizer sprays fuel onto. If the white paste that is impregnated into the mesh is degraded then it will have a hard time starting as well. If it has the right amount of fuel, and the glow plug is working, the atomizer holes are clean and the liner is good then it should start. It should attain a flame(jet sound out of exhaust) at around 50-60 seconds after starting. If you get this sound, but it the glow plug keeps going and then it goes into cool down, then the flame sensor may be gone. It thinks it has not attained a flame so it shuts down after the safety starting time has expired.

If you do not get the jet sound from the exhaust and lots of smoke then it must be a problem with the atomizer or liner. The liners are still available. Also are you sure the little red o-ring that goes between the blower and heat exchanger went back in around the air channel orifice that it seals?

Brian
I did clean the small holes on the atomizer which was carboned up due to repeated failures to start. I bought a new wire mesh last year and you showed me at Roton how to heat the tabs so they don't break off. So I was hoping it would start after cleaning. I believe the little red o-ring went back in successfully. The last time I tried to start it, it smoked badly and the jet sound was heard later but this was well after the fuel meter stopped ticking and the glow plug had shut off. If I understand the schematic, it would indicate there are 2 speeds for the motor, with power fed through a resistor for the lower speed and the resistor bypassed by a 2nd relay for high speed. For startup which fan speed is correct? The resistor bypass relay is being energized at startup but I am not sure if the fan is running at the higher speed. Have you ever seen the fuel meter fail in a mode where too much fuel is delivered?

Brian
I worked on the unit again today with the following results.
When switched on it starts up correctly with very little smoke on startup. It runs for approximately 4 minutes and then the fuel pump stops being pulsed and the motor slows down. In about 30 sec a restart is initiated and it will run again for 3 to 4 minutes and then shuts down in a cool down cycle. I have disconnected the hot air tubing to ensure there is no restrictions and it still behaves as above. Any suggestions?

ok. If it starts well, but the glow plug does not cut out,and fan does not speed up and the unit goes into cooldown, then it has to be the flame sensor. It is not registering the flame being attained and the software thinks it has not ignited,so it goes into cooldown. The flame sensor is 25 1729 36 00 00, may be superseded by 25 1729 37 00
The flame sensor should be 900-1100 ohms when cold and up to 2200 when hot. It may read ok when cold and still not register the right resistance when hot, so the cold test is not always conclusive. Call Roton @ 604-688-2325 and ask them to check stock. I would say 98% that is the issue.

I have a D7L "D7LGM#BOA251480GM. Two of them actually. The forward one turns on for a few minutes then shuts off. i can hear the ticking sound of the pump, guessing from reading it may be the glow plug. Cant seem to find the part number (or manual for the that unit).

Is it too hard to find parts for that unit? Are the parts interchangable with another unit?

For the manual go to espar.com and hit the downloads tab and then click on all other manuals and then click on archive and then air heaters, and then d7l. Click on the PDF that has ts for troubleshooting.

Is the heater going for three minutes and then shutting off? If it shuts off before that then it is low voltage. If it is three min. Then it has timed out on its safety period. VERY important now-if you have attempted to start it more than a couple of times then there will be about 81 ml of fuel in it for every 3 min start attempt. You should check that the drain in the exhaust elbow is clear and has drained any excess fuel out. Also make sure that if the exhaust goes downhill after the elbow(it should not as that drain should be the lowest point) that you ensure that there is not fuel pooled in the exhaust as it can boil and then ignite. Also check that the exhaust insulation is not wet with diesel. If it is wash it with soap and water and a rag or sponge.

Disconnect the fuel pump wires. Remove the glow plug and attach all three wires to it. Plug the glow plug hole with a rag or spare plug. Turn the heater on and make sure that it's element glows red hot and that it has a spark going from the centre to the shield. If there is no glow, then the plug is bad, if there is no spark then the spark generator is bad.

If the glow plug checks out okay then. Heck the filtering the pump. It is intended suction side of the pump DO NOT TOUCH THE NUTS ON THD OUTPUT END OF THE PUMP!! Take the fuel line off the pump and remove the spigot on the suction side. Tap out the fuel and look at the filter with a flashlight. It is like thimble inside the orifice on the end of the pump. If you can see shiny s/s mesh then it is good. If it is gunked up then you can clean it. Pry it out around its outside edge withheld tip of an eyeglasses screwdriver or box cutter. It has a very fine plastic flange that the spigot seats on. This is a sealing surface so do not damage it. When it is removed you can backflush it to clean it.

If the furnace was igniting, but not running past 3 min. Then the flame sensor is probably bad, they are not available.

If the glow plug, and filter are good and you have good voltage at the heater. About 11.5 when the glow plug is on. Then it should ignite. If it does not then the atomizer inside is probably clogged, and the heat exchanger liner needs replacing.

Before you try starting the unit let me know about the three min timeout thing, and whether it was igniting or not, if you had any smoke out the exhaust of not, and how many times you tried to start it(how much fuel is inside it now)

Part # for that one is 25 1480. If it has BOA ahead of it is probably installed by boat electric in Seattle. That have a good troubleshooting section on their website, and the Espar manual has a good troubleshooting flowchart. If it is a boat electric install then it has a square float bowl chamber mounted on the heater that has a needle valve and float assembly like a carb. It will also a have a primary fuel pump and a chrome pressure regulator between that pump and the float chamber. Sometimes the pressure regulators pack it in and not enough fuel gets to the float chamber, or the Espar fuel metering pump for that matter. You can test the fuel quantity by following the directions in the Espar ts manual.

If the Espar fuel pump is starved of fuel it makes a very mettalic sound. It may Also change tone louder then quieter.

Some of the parts are not made any more, but the glow plug and most are available. The flame sensor is not available. Only the flame sensor And some ecu's are interchangeable with the D4L

I hope the Forum members do not mind "newbie" questions. I know I am jumping into a long running thread on Espar heaters, so I beg your patience. I am new to boating and not a mechanic, so pardon my ignorance if I don't understand everything the first time. I realize there is no quick, one-replay answer to my dilemma, and this make take several postings, but here goes....

I purchased a 1985 Hershine (Cheerman) tri-cabin trawler to enjoy the beauty of my native Puget Sound & San Juans. Overall, the boat is in great shape. However, the D7L heater is not working. I have been told that there are no parts available, but I found a box of spare fuel filters, glow plugs, and misc parts on board. I have the original installation manuals, and have now located online versions of the Troubleshooting and Parts guides.

There are two in-cabin controls units: a main switch and a separate thermostat. The main switch has 4 stops; one each for Blower, Off, Full, and Half heat settings. The thermostat has an analog rotary dial for temp threshold and a rocker switch which activates the unit, plus red/green indicator lights.

When turning the main switch to Blower..the D7L powers up and blows (cold) air through the cabin vents. If I switch to Full or Half heat, the blower turns off unless I activate the thermostat and rotate the analog dial below a threshold value, which causes the blower to kick in again, but still only produces cold air.

These findings indicate to me that the in-cabin switches are likely wired, powered, and working properly and the blower in the unit is functioning. However, the unit does not generate hot air. Unlike other postings on this thread, the unit does not heat, then shut down prematurely. It simply does not heat. I have tried....

• Turning thermostat on/off several times, with various delays intervals between attempts.
  • Pressing/releasing the heating coil reset button next to the glow plug.
  • Checking the 16A inline fuse in the 12V supply line
  • Checking the integrity of the fuel inlet line (I did find and fix a compressed fuel line...but still no heat)

Visually, the unit appears new and intact. There are no loose wires, external damage, evidence of fuel leaks, etc. There appears to be about a 1 gallon stainless steel diesel fuel reserve tank dedicated to the heater, and the clear glass level indicator shows its full of fuel.

When reading the prior postings on this thread, I must also comment that the fuel pump motor does *not* make any clicking noises when attempting to start. Also, I can feel warmth at the base of the glow plug where the wires attach to the plug, but this to me is non-specific. I have not yet tried to replace this plug. I have spare fuel filters, but before I do anything, I would like to learn what next step and/or test procedures would be productive (and safe).

Seems to my beginners eye that something simple needs to be turned, pressed, or replaced. I am open to suggestions on what to try next. I appreciate the Forums assistance. I will be glad to post photos if needed.

Good day, sorry for the delay, I was away at the cottage for the long weekend.
You are correct about the controls. The thermostat gets its power from the high or half heat part of the dial. Full heat supplies power to the thermostat and applies ground to a mauve wire in the harness, this activates the combustion air solenoid to open, and the fuel pump to stay pulsing fast.The half heat position may not even work, having been overridden-it tends to carbon up the heater, so high is best anyways. The vent position just blows cold air.

The starting sequence is

1- glow plug/spark and fan turn on right away
2- fuel pump starts at 25 seconds
3- if the flame sensor senses adequate temperature then the glow plug shuts off at about 1 min. and 15-30 seconds. and the heater continues to run-when it thermostats of or is turned off, the flame sensor should let it cool down for at least a minute and a half.

4- if the flame sensor does not sense adequate temperature by the 3 min. mark, then the heater will stop- if the heater does fire and gets hot, but it still shuts down at the 3 minute mark, then the flame sensor is bad- can't get them anymore either part # 25 1425 35 00 00

The reset button beside the glow plug is an OVERHEAT RESET BREAKER, not a heater coil reset. If it pops, it open circuits the fuel pump signal, and the flame goes out and the flame sensor then sends the unit in to cooldown. If the reset button does not click then it is not popped.

I would assume that the furnace will stop running 3 mins. after you turn it on in heat mode. If the glow plug is heating then it is in start mode and the fuel pump should have started to pulse after 25 second from being switched on. If it is not then it is one of the following-

-there is a pulse getting to the fuel pump, but it is stuck(it is a solenoid, and they sometimes get stuck) take the wires off the pump and turn the heater on- put a test light between the two wires, if it flashes then you have a signal and the pump must be stuck- whack it with the handle of a screwdriver. this will sometimes free it up,either permanently or temporarily. If the pump cannot be freed up, then it needs to be replaced, they are not available from Espar anymore. part number is 25 1425 45 00 00

- A tripped overheat breaker- not from what you say though

- A bad pulse generator- the smaller of the two aluminum control boxes behind the large rectangular face plate.this module generates a pulse from the from a signal sent to it by the motor brushes. If it is bad, sometimes you can make it work temporarily by putting a fairly strong magnet up against it after the 25 second mark- the magnet may activate the electromagnetic coil inside that the fuel pulse travels through- if this does make it work then the pulse generator is bad . Still available part # 25 1470 53 00 00 or 25 1470 54 00 00

- the motor brushes, or commutator in the motor may be worn too far- you can test this by tapping the motor shaft tip in the center of the orange fan impeller(fan) at the intake end of the furnace- do this with the furnace running-and at the 25 second after starting point-!!!!!BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET YOUR TAPPING INSTRUMENT CAUGHT IN THE FAN WHEEL!!!!!!! it will fly off at a hundred miles an hour and kill you or at the very least punch a hole in the drywall or break a window. If the brushes, or commutator are the problem, then the fuel pump will start pulsing temporarily- Do this at your own risk!!

The motor is not available from Espar anymore- the part # is 25 1425 15 01 00
The motor can be re-brushed by an electric motor service company.

By the way the troubleshooting manual is at http://www.espar.com/www/espar.com/help/

click on archive, then air heaters, then on D7L- you can then choose from parts, or TS(troubleshooting) pdf

Let me know if you are unsure of any of my explanations, or if you make any progress

One more thing as I always stress this with the D7L- if you do get the fuel sorted out and the fuel is pumping, but it does not ignite- bear in mind that you are pumping 27ml / minute of diesel in the heater for three minutes every time you try to start it- ok for up to three starts, but after that you have a lot of fuel inside the heater and possibly the exhaust. Always make sure the exhaust elbow drain is at the lowest point, and clear to drain excess fuel out of the elbow. If in doubt then remove the coil and clear out the hole to the exhaust elbow. If fuel pools in the exhaust it can boil and it's vapour can ignite if a carbon ember leaves the heat exchanger- I have had this happen, and the exhaust glowed red hot and ignited fuel that the exhaust insulation had soaked up and there was a fire in the engine room- my first solo service call!! 16 years ago.

_ if the heater has fuel and glow/spark it should ignite- if it does not ignite after two to three tries, then it is in need of an atomizer cleaning and a new heat exchanger liner. stop trying to start it at this point! This requires a complete teardown.

Always make sure that both the glow and spark are working on the plug. Disconnect the fuel pump and hang the glow plug (with all wires attached) outside the heater- not touching anything- and turn on the heater. You should see the glowing coil, and a spark arcing from the center to the shield outside the glow coil- the heater will not fire without the spark- if there is no spark, try another plug, and if that does not work than it is a bad spark generator- up beside the glow plage where the spark plug wire comes from.

Great help. I will be at the boat this coming week and will give you an update. I printed out your comments, and the D7L TS guide, etc. The blower does not shut off after 3 minutes. I will check to see if the glow plug heats, then shuts down at 3 minutes. From your description, I am suspect of the fuel line/motor and will check these first. I have spotted the drain in the exhaust elbow. There is no other low spot in the heater exhaust, but I will make sure it is drained of any fuel before running any other tests. Many thanks, and will be posting after I get to the boat and run a few of these items.

Hello's... found this forum whilst I google for some 'solutions' to keeping me D4 Air alive. (is it just me or does the 'enter' key not work in this editor?)... anywho's... HISTORY: D4 has 10,200 hrs as of 2 weeks ago when it had it's annual glowpin screen replacement and 1hr kerosene burn/torching, and I put in my new/spare glowpin. The unit did start smoking on cold starts the week prior, and after a couble days would not start after the 'normal' 2-3 restarts. The unit had been running for the previous 6-8 weeks, and had the the 6 months/summer off. I did monthly burns. Last April, at about 9500hrs, the blower was replaced. Last Decemeber, the pump was replaced. No other 'major' issues or repairs done prior.... So... after the screen,clean and pin change, the unit ran 'ok' for a bit, but it now blowing white smoke on pretty much each cold start, however it will burn off and flameup...for now... It appears from the smell when it is running, and a comment from the techie who did the anual, that it burns rich, too rich. Last, point... it ran/runs on low 75% of it's life... and I'm aware of the issues & work arounds.... SO.... Question... what am i looking at/for? Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Brian:

I tested my D7L as you have suggested and the findings are very interesting. For you and the other interested readers, I took pix/movies but to avoid cluttering the list, I have loaded them to a remote site and will point to them by URLs which you can click on. Here goes:

Click the links to see an overview of the D7L installation, the full product specifications and labeling, the control boxes, the fuel supply lines, and the fuel pump.

First, I disconnected the fuel line from the back of the pump, and there was free flow of diesel. So, the problem was not fuel supply.

As I mentioned in my initial posting, the fuel pump does not make a clicking noise at any time after the blower starts up. So, I pulled the control wires off the fuel pump, and tried to test to see if there was any input voltage by connecting them to a volt meter (see quicktime movie 1). There was *no* voltage measured in the fuel pump wires. I also put a magnet over the impulse generator, but this still did not generate a voltage to the fuel pump, or cause the pump to make a clicking noise.

At this point, I thought the failure of the unit to produce heat must certainly be a bad impulse generator to the fuel pump.

But wait...the plot thickens.... (see next posting....)

Last edited:
With the furnace turned on, the glow plug felt warm to the touch (see quicktime movie 2). So, I proceeded with removing the glow plug and testing it as you recommended.

Movie 3 demonstrates a normally functioning glow plug (with both glow and spark). So, I confirmed the glow plug was not the problem. To me, this also means the control box and wiring harness to the glow plug are both OK.

But...when inspecting the solenoid to the combustion air intake, I noticed something funny. There were 2 wires coming into a plastic connector from the Espar control box, but only one wire going from the connector to the solenoid. Very curious !!

I cut away the heat shrink over the wire bundle to the solenoid and found a red wire going to the solenoid that was cut flush off !) Take a look at this photo and notice the cut-away heat shrink, the brown wire, and the amputated red wire.

I am a beginner, but this looks to me like an open circuit to the solenoid !! Is this normal wiring for a D7L? Could this be the reason there is no heat generated? Is it possible there is no air getting to the burner?

Maybe I really have 2 problems: 1) a bad impulse generator, and 2) an open circuit to the solenoid.

What is your take on these 2 possibilities?

Many thanks.

Let me know if the photos/movie links are not working....

Last edited:
Hey Brian,

I have a D2, installed in 2009. Out on my boat last weekend, tied up to a dock overnight. Running off batteries, I fired up the D2 when it got dark, about 5 pm. The D2 ran pretty much continuously. The only other things running off the batts, was a single LED and I watched a movie on a portable DVD player. I turned the 'stat down when I hit the bunk around 10 pm. Sometime during the night I woke up and the D2 wasn't running. It was plenty cold so it should have been. When I tried to start it, the pump would click a couple times then stop and the heater would cycle off. Power off/on try to start about 4 times total same deal every time. I never tried to re-start it after that.

After I got back home the next day, got the boat all squared away, plugged the batt charger in, I tried the D2. It fired up and ran fine. But i only ran it for a few minutes, just being glad it started up.

Any ideas on what might have happened? After reading through this thread, I thought maybe low voltage but the outboard turned over just fine the next morning. I'd really appreciate any insight you or others might be able to share.

jd

Good day. It certainly sounds like. Low voltage, but it could be something else. Do you have only one battery? That is are the engine and house battery the same? If it is low voltage shutdown, it may be caused by a loose or corroded connection on the power harness at the battery or fuse holder. Check those first.

The solenoid wires are usually cut off completely as the low heat function(solenoid closed halfway) caused the heater to carbon up. Most D7 I see have them cut and are wired to run on high only. The solenoid has nothing to do with the lack of a pulse to the fuel pump. The heater has been modified if the fuel pump speeds up after the glow plug cuts out.

Did you tap the motor shafts while the heater is in start cycle like I mentioned? You could also open the large control box and see if all three relays are closed. If the third one is not, press the end of it to close it and see if the pulse starts.

Hi Brian,
I have a d3l heater I installed from a truck about 10 years ago. Worked fine when up north as I used it often. Three years ago you serviced it for carbon build up. Two years ago you advised me to clean the connections and it worked, thank you. Have not used it and the other day it started and ran fine but would not go into cool down. I shut it down after 5 min. Now,when turned on it runs the fan on high with no start or pump pulsing ect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi Brian,
part of my last post was omitted when sent. If I am unable to repair this unit, I will be in Vancouver in Jan. Please send your new contact iinfo thank You
Bruce

I appreciate the info on the solenoid. I did not expect the wires to be cut, but it sounds like the solenoid must remain completely open to prevent carbon build up. Thanks. I will leave this alone.

I did not tap the motor shafts, but that is next. The large control box is mounted in a tough place to get to (behind the heater). I will get these tests done on my next trip to the boat and post the results

Hello. It sounds like the flame sensor has gone. It thinks it is hot so it runs in coodown until shut down. It can be tested by jumping the two contacts on the sensor. If the heater turns on in start mode now, slow fan, glow plug, and then fuel pump then that is the problem. This only works with model 25 1640, not 25 1738. The switch is still available, about $70. Off the top of my head.

I'm not sure what you mean by it would not go I to coodown. Would it not shut off at all and you had to pull the fuse?

Back