Logo

1988 AQ131 exhaust hose

jmackc

"I have a 1988 Volvo/Penta AQ131/275 in my old boat. I have a leak in the bellows exhaust hose that connects the engine exhaust manifold to the lower end unit, and need to replace the hose. The hose is about 3" long, but there is less than a 1/2" gap between the end of the exhaust manifold and the lower end connection. Is there a trick to getting the old hose off and a new hose on through that tight gap, or do you have to remove the exhaust manifold to put the new hose on. Thanks."

"I have managed in the past to

"I have managed in the past to slide those hoses between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe without dismantling anything. However, if that fails, you will have to remove or loosen the exhaust manifold. You can also try slackening the bolts attaching the exhasut pipe to the transom shield if the boat is on a trailer, but access can be tight and you never know if the o-ring will seal properly when you fasten the bolts again."

im assuming your talking about

im assuming your talking about the rubber boot that connects the manifold to the exhaust pipe that goes through the shield. If you are then its easiest to remove the manifold which should be done to check for corosion and such. Your looking at volvo # 834871 at a pretty heft 70 bucks

"I recently replaced that same

"I recently replaced that same exhaust hose in my boat. Removing and reinstalling the manifold is not very time consuming, and is definitely the easiest way to get access to the hose. I recommend having a buddy to help pull it out gently and reinstall it since it is a bit heavy, also make sure you torque the manifold bolts correctly to spec when you reinstall. You can easily strip the threads in the aluminum head of you over-tighten those bolts.

Good luck!
Jonathan"

"Jonathan,
Do you remember &#

"Jonathan,
Do you remember (or does anyone else know) what the correct torque sequence and force is for the manifold bolts?

Thanks, Jim"

Back