Logo

1998 johnson 200 hp hard starting

mnydvr

Regular Contributor
"motor runs well but is diffcult starting,just got the boat and have not delved into it as of yet,know the owner and boat sat for two years ,carbs were rebulit by dealer last year and solved alot of problems,going to start with pressure test on fuel lines and check choke operation,any other suggestions?"

"Compression should be approx

"Compression should be approx 90/100 psi and even on all cylinders.

Witn spark plugs removed.... spark should jump a 7/16" with a strong blue flame... a real SNAP!

Engine must not be dragging (cranking slowly) when attempting to start... low cranking speed results in weak, erratic, or possibly no ignition.

Check to make sure that the fuel primer solenoid is functioning properly.

If the above is okay, and the engine is still hard starting, possibly the carburetors have once again fouled somewhat if they have indeed been sitting for a year. Check to see if fuel is indeed entering the float chambers.,

The starting procedure should be: Pump fuel primer bulb up hard, apply a slight bit of throttle to just crack the throttle butterflies, turn key to the start position and push the key in to activate the fuel primer solenoid. The engine should fire and start within six revolutions.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back