Logo

1995 Evinrude 150 shift rod

bighig

I replaced the impeller an pum

I replaced the impeller an pump and I think the shift rod got turned in the process.When trying to put in reverse it was grinding and hard to shift.Can the rod be adjusted without taking the lower unit off again. also is there a way you can tell if its right before taking to the water. Many thanks Bighig

"u need to ck the length,..it

"u need to ck the length,..it is ck'ed,..from top of gearcase,to ctr of shift rod hole,..in NEUTRAL-
... ----> V6 60° 1991-2003 21-1/4""

"so what you are saying is i n

"so what you are saying is i need to drop the foot again ? Then measure an put back in . does it need to be in neutral before removing the pin on top of the shifting rod.Many thanks, Bighig"

"yes,pull it again,....no,u ne

"yes,pull it again,....no,u need to put in forward,so shift arms,can clr lower carb."

You may want to check it befor

You may want to check it before you pull it to see if you have a cable issue first. Disconnect the cable at the shift arm on the engine. See if you can shift in and out of gear OK then. May just be a cable adjustment.

how do I make cable adjustment

how do I make cable adjustment.I pulled the foot an measured shift rod it was three rounds too high.went to the lake it started fine but when i shifted in to forward it would shut off.I had A person tell me on the dock that my primer bulb needed to be in an up position mine was laying in a slight down position.I think I almost got the bugs worked out.

"ur cable is not adj right,..a

"ur cable is not adj right,..and making ur shift switch kill it,is my guess..it may be adj too tight...primer bulb,is not causing your prob."

"(Centering Shift Cable&#4

"(Centering Shift Cable)
(J. Reeves)

When all is as it should be, the proper method to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the engine. Move the shift linkage on the engine to find the center of the play in neutral, and when found, leave it centered.

Now, grab the end of the shift cable sleeve, push and pull it to find the center of the play there, and center that play.

Adjust the trunion on the threaded portion of the shift cable so that the centered play of the cable lines up with the centered play of the engine's shift linkage. Install and lock the shift cable with the retaining clamp in that position. That's it.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back