Logo

Mercruiser shifter arm leaking water into boat can you help

bchichi

I have a Mercruiser with a 350

I have a Mercruiser with a 350 and Apha II outdrive. I just removed my out drive and replaced the water pump and all the hoses including the bellows. When I put the boat back in the water there is a leak coming in the boat where the outdrive connects to the transom. Water is pooling into the rectangular box above the drive shaft and dripping down on to the shaft and into the boat. It seems to be where the shifter arm is connected. I have a manual and it doesn't show or talk about what it would take to fix this problem. Is there a seal in there and do I have to remove the outdrive again to fix this kind of leak. Does anyone know how to fix this and can you give me the steps to do it. Thank you in advance.

"No I'm sorry, I looked at

"No I'm sorry, I looked at that pdf of the steering arm and that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the piviting rod that is mounted right above the drive shaft inside the boat and it has a cable attached to it. I can snap a photo of it tomorrow and upload it."

"Might have to post a pic caus

"Might have to post a pic cause there are no other connections,the shift cable goes thru the housing. There are 2 vent holes in the housing that go into the bellows, a leak from those is a leak in the bellows."

I have taken a photo as you su

I have taken a photo as you suggested and yes the leak is in the area of the steering arm it might be the steering arm. How hard is it to stop? What steps do I have to take to fix this problem? Can you help me please? I don't see anything in my repair manual about it. Can I repair it without removing the bellows again or the outdrive?

Thank you for any help in advance.

"I am having trouble uploading

"I am having trouble uploading the photo, this is my 4th try.

Do you have an email I can attach it to? That might be easier?IMG_8968.jpg""

"[IMG][url=""]http://i57.photo

"
url]
"

"You either have a leaky boot,

"You either have a leaky boot, the large rubber ring was dislodged during installation or the gasket is damaged.Pull the drive and reinspect the boot for water.Did you find the input shaft rusty when you first removed the drive or was there some water in the boot already. Sometimes a high bilge water lever can introduce water into the boot."

No the rust is from the water

No the rust is from the water pooling above the shaft and dripping down on to the shaft. It is pooling in the rectangular inset above the shaft hole. I just tried tightening the hose clamp to the input hose but it looks like that isn't the problem. An other ideas?

Back